Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting micrograms to nanomolar

Hi!

I am having trouble with a simple calculation. I have purified a recombinant protein (85.83KDa) and it's concentration is 0.19ug/ul (micrograms per microlitre). I used 10ul of this in an experiment and need to know this concentration in nM (nanomolar)?

As a side question, the tag (42.5KDa) is still attached to the purified protein so the entire recombinant protein is 128.33KDa, should I use this value for working out the concentration of protein used in nanomolars in my experiment?

Thank you in advance

Re: converting micrograms to nanomolar

Originally posted by Benchbuddy
    Hi!

I am having trouble with a simple calculation. I have purified a recombinant protein (85.83KDa) and it's concentration is 0.19ug/ul (micrograms per microlitre). I used 10ul of this in an experiment and need to know this concentration in nM (nanomolar)?

As a side question, the tag (42.5KDa) is still attached to the purified protein so the entire recombinant protein is 128.33KDa, should I use this value for working out the concentration of protein used in nanomolars in my experiment?

Thank you in advance
    I was hoping our chemist, Mrs X, would see and answer this. But I'll try.

The question on the tag reduces to whether the stated concentration, 0.19 痢/無 includes the weight of the tag or not, and I don't know. I am assuming it does not. The molecular weight in daltons is the molar mass in grams per mole.

There is also some confusion over whether you want nanomoles or nanomolar. Molar is a term used to describe a concentration in moles per liter. If you use a specific number of liters, then you use a specific number of moles.
    0.19 痢/無 is also 0.19 g/L. The molar concentration is
    0.19 g/L x 1 mol/85.83 kg = 2.2 痠ol/L or 2.2 然.

You used 10 無 of it, so you used 22 pmol. The other way to get to the same point is 10 無 contains 1.9 痢. Dividng by the molar mass, 22 pmol.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see this until now, but what JohnS said.

However, are you taking the original 10無, and diluting it to a different volume? - If so, then you may need to know the concentration in the resulting solution. If you can't work this our from what johnS has written, post back, and someone may be able to help. (I'm going to be away for a few days, I love summer!)

Comment

How to make 50 ul of 5 nM NaCl

I want to prepare 50 ul of 5 nM NaCl, plz guide

Comment

I need help with a calculation. Forgive me I am far removed from general chem.
          I have a substance with a molecular weight of 99.1 kDa. I want to get it into solution at a concentration of .8 nmol/L. How many micrograms do I need to use per microliter.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Omega- SM View Post
            I need help with a calculation. Forgive me I am far removed from general chem.
            I have a substance with a molecular weight of 99.1 kDa. I want to get it into solution at a concentration of .8 nmol/L. How many micrograms do I need to use per microliter.
            Thanks
            99.1 kg/mol x 0.8 nmol/L = 79.28 痢/L
            If you really only want to make a microliter, 79.28 pg/無, but I don't know how you weigh it out.

Comment

Working...
            X