X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help getting cubic yards

We have a scrap yard and one of our hoopers is 22 X 7 X 5.8 Can you tell me how many cubic yards it is?

I came up with little over 31 but not exactly sure how to get the correct measurements into the calculator with the 5.8

Thanks

Re: I need help getting cubic yards

Originally posted by dollfangirl
    We have a scrap yard and one of our hoopers is 22 X 7 X 5.8 Can you tell me how many cubic yards it is?

I came up with little over 31 but not exactly sure how to get the correct measurements into the calculator with the 5.8

Thanks
    What units are those dimensions in? Feet?
    Is the 5.8 really decimal or is it 5 feet 8 inches?

Assuming 22' x 7' x 5'8"
    8" is 2/3 of a foot, so 5.6667'

In cubic feet, you have
    22' x 7' x 5.6667' = 872.67 ft³
    872.67 ft³ x 1 yd³/27ft³ = 32.3 yd³

Comment

I Am Sorry, Yes It's In Feet, The 5.8 Is 5'8"

Comment

yes, it is 5'8" .... one more question, I know most ppl just want the answer but if I understand the equation I won't have to ask again and can figure on my own... anyways, where does the 27 that you divide it come from? what is that figure?

Comment

Originally posted by dollfangirl
          yes, it is 5'8" .... one more question, I know most ppl just want the answer but if I understand the equation I won't have to ask again and can figure on my own... anyways, where does the 27 that you divide it come from? what is that figure?
          27 is simply the number of cubic feet (1' x 1' x 1') in a cubic yard. A cubic yard (yd^3) is 3' x 3' x 3', which of course equals 27.

Kudos for wanting to understand the formula so you can calculate it yourself. You're never to old to learn.

Before I get myself in trouble, I didn't say you were old. :-)
          Last edited by Dirtman; 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X