• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to convert ppm to mg/kg if the sample taken is in grams

i have a result of iron 2.3 ppm and i have take the 0.2 g sample

Re: how to convert ppm to mg/kg if the sample taken is in grams

Originally posted by arfeen66
    i have a result of iron 2.3 ppm and i have take the 0.2 g sample
    2.3ppm means in 1kg of sample, you would have 2.3mg of whatever you are testing for.

Is this what you wanted to know?

Or do you want to know how much original material you need in order to get 0.2 grams of your compund of interest?

Comment

Wrong. It depends on the density of each substance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
        Wrong. It depends on the density of each substance.
        Debatable. It depends on what "flavor" of ppm.

Ppm is an ambiguous term because it can be calculated on a mass, volume, or mole-fraction ratio.

Assuming mass/mass is meant, the above interpretation is correct.

Actually ppm on v/v basis is not too common, It is usually mass/mass for solids and mole/mole for gases. Liquids may be mass over mass, or mass over a volume of one liter assumed to be a kilogram.

Comment

Hallo every one
          1 ppm =1 mg/kg and this equation for the solid materials .
          for example
          100 ppm lactic acid it means 100 mg /kg or 100 gram/1000 kg

Comment

Re: how to convert 1.61 g/kg to porcent (%) if the sample is soil

I sended a soil sample to chemical soil laboratory. The analisys answer for TOTAL NITROGEN IS : 1.61 g/kg. I need to convert this value ( 1.61 ) to porcent (%). How i can do this ? Easier, let me know the answer directly. Please.
            THANKS.

Comment

Re: how to convert ppm to mg /g

I have taken 2g of sample for ashing and made it to 50 ml, from that again i have taken 0.250 ml to make 100ml. now i got 0.0283ppm how can i convert to mg / g.

Comment

Re: how to convert ppm to mg /g

Originally posted by sharan.t1985@gmail.com View Post
                I have taken 2g of sample for ashing and made it to 50 ml, from that again i have taken 0.250 ml to make 100ml. now i got 0.0283ppm how can i convert to mg / g.
                I assume the final solution you tested is dilute enough that it doesn't matter whether your ppm is w/w or w/v, you have 2.83 g/100 mL.

Because of the intermediate dilution only part of your initial 2 g sample contributed to the 100 mL of solution, specifically 2 g x 0.25 mL/50 mL, or 10 mg. Therefore the concentration in your sample was 2.83 g/10 mg, or 0.283 mg/g.

Comment

i take 5 gm of sludge than make it 100 ml as final volume...and from this 0.5 ml of sample..now my answer is 220 mg/l..how can i convert into gm/kg

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    i take 5 gm of sludge than make it 100 ml as final volume...and from this 0.5 ml of sample..now my answer is 220 mg/l..how can i convert into gm/kg
                    220 mg/1000 mL x 100 mL/5 g=4.4 mg/g = 4400 mg/kg

Comment

soil sample to chemical soil laboratory. The analisys answer for TOTAL NITROGEN IS : 1.61 g/kg. I need to convert this value ( 1.61 ) to porcent (%). How i can do this ? Easier, let me know the answer directly. Please.
                      THANKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        soil sample to chemical soil laboratory. The analisys answer for TOTAL NITROGEN IS : 1.61 g/kg. I need to convert this value ( 1.61 ) to porcent (%). How i can do this ? Easier, let me know the answer directly. Please.
                        THANKS.
                        The first question is what "flavor" of percent you want, since it is an ambiguous term. Assuming weight/weght, it is easy

1.61 g/kg is literally 1.61 parts per thousand parts. You wants parts per hundred parts (percent). It is 0.161 parts per hundred or 0.161%

Comment

Working...
                        X