Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to convert blood alcohol levels

Hello there,

A friend who weighs 165 lbs had a blood alcohol level of 157mg taken at the hospital. What does this convert to in percentage.? He said he 5 beers over a 2 hour period. HELP!

Re: Need to convert blood alcohol levels

Originally posted by tac77
    Hello there,

A friend who weighs 165 lbs had a blood alcohol level of 157mg taken at the hospital. What does this convert to in percentage.? He said he 5 beers over a 2 hour period. HELP!
    Assuming the units are really 157 mg/dL, it is 0.157% or about twice the legal limit of 0.08%. Your friend has a major problem.

Comment

5 beers over 2 hours for a 165 pound man would give about a 0.08% bac. To reach a 0.157% a 165 pound man would need about 9 beers over 2 hour period.

Either way, 2 or 5 or 10 beers, probably not a good idea to drive. In our state even if you are under the limit you can still be convicted of drunk driving if they can show you appeared drunk and should not be driving.

Comment

BAC is stated in mass per volume in the US, so therefore 157mg of alcohol registered in the test is most likely 0.157%

157mg measured (per mL) = 15.7 cg/mL where 1cg/mL = 0.01%

therefore the % would be 0.157%

correct me if im wrong

Comment

The hospital took my blood about 7 hours after I stopped drinking (everclear 190 proof) the calculated my BAL at 3.19 which I am assuming is actually .319. Is this BAL even possible to have and live. Especially since I hadn't had a drink in 7 hours. I drank about 2 pints in a 5 hour period.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            The hospital took my blood about 7 hours after I stopped drinking (everclear 190 proof) the calculated my BAL at 3.19 which I am assuming is actually .319. Is this BAL even possible to have and live. Especially since I hadn't had a drink in 7 hours. I drank about 2 pints in a 5 hour period.
            This page shows some effects of alcohol based on level:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-t...cts_of_alcohol

If it was 0.319 it would be in the stupor range, pretty much unconscious and nearly in a coma. They must mean something else by the 3.19 BAL, perhaps 0.0319. You should contact the doctor.

Comment

a friend weighs 185 lbs 5 ft 11 inches hospital in texas say blood alcohol level was 96 is that legal limits to drive ?and how is that converted to percent ?

Comment

carolyn michael Re: Need to convert blood alcohol levels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                a friend weighs 185 lbs 5 ft 11 inches hospital in texas say blood alcohol level was 96 is that legal limits to drive ?and how is that converted to percent ?

General rule of thumb I have found is that 100mg/dl = .1% BAC. depending on the states rules he would be about .016 over the limit if the legal limit is .08 BAC. The tricky part is converting when your BAC is calcualted in mmol/ml or g/ml as you ahve to do the math conversion (basically decimal point changes to get to mg/dl) for that number to be helpful. If my math is wrong please feel free to correct me.

Comment

I know this is not really related to what this thread is about, but does anyone have any idea what a blood alcohol level reading of 100mg would convert to in the breath test?

Comment

in ireland, the legal limit is 35mg for breath or 80mg for blood. one can maybe assume therefore that 35mg in breath = 80mg in blood. Therefore, 100mg in blood may be in the region of 44mg of breath. am i about right perhaps?!

Comment

Hospital said 0.188 Hercimeters (Spelling?) What is that legally?

Comment

family member at hospital was 139 mg. what does this convert to in percentage
                        ? Do not know how many drinks weight about 148.
                        Last edited by JohnS; 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          family member at hospital was 139 mg. what does this convert to in percentage
                          ? Do not know how many drinks weight about 148.
                          Probably 139 mg/dL and therefore 0.139%. Limit for driving is 0.08%.

Comment

male 6'1 225 lbs...medical blood alcohol 291 MG/DL... need approximate conversion to legal whole blood alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by carolyn michael View Post
                              my husband weighs 195 and 29 years old and height is 5.7 he had an alcohol level of 82mg from the hospital how does that translate

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X