X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gal Propane cylinder to lbs of gas

I need to track usage of propane at my facility. Maint fills 10 gal propane tank - but I must report this in lbs of propane. If the gas density is 0.116 lbs/FT3 how is that used to convert to lbs?

Re: Gal Propane cylinder to lbs of gas

Originally posted by Guest
    I need to track usage of propane at my facility. Maint fills 10 gal propane tank - but I must report this in lbs of propane. If the gas density is 0.116 lbs/FT3 how is that used to convert to lbs?
    It is filled with a pressurized liquid. The gas is boiled off and used. So you have to consider liquid volumes for filling and gas volumes for usage.

Liquid propane is approximately 20 lb = 4.7 gallons.
    (The volume of gas will be 277:1 larger)

Edit: Reference to many common propane cylinders:
    http://www.missiongas.com/lpgascylinders.htm

Comment

1 gal = 0.13368 cubic feet
      10 gal = 1.3368 cubic feet

1.3368 cubic feet * 0.116lbs/cubic foot
      = 0.154976 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS
        It is filled with a pressurized liquid. The gas is boiled off and used. So you have to consider liquid volumes for filling and gas volumes for usage.
        but he already gave you the density of the gas in the tank
        assuming he gave you the density of the filled 10G tank

Comment

Originally posted by kuj0
          but he already gave you the density of the gas in the tank
          assuming he gave you the density of the filled 10G tank
          He needs the density of the liquid, not the gas over the liquid.

Comment

if the 10G of propane is in liquid form then it is simple

using 0.5077g/L we get 42.36961832 pounds

Comment

I was wondering how a 20 cu foot argon tank compares in size to a 20 gallon propane tank? How big is the 20 cu foot tank or a 40 cu foot tank? Thanks

Comment

Argon never goes to a liquid statein its tanks, it is always in its gas state, so they do not compare.

a simple suggestion, go to your local welders supply or medical gas supply company, they will be able to answer any of your questions and assist you with programs to mannage your storage.

Comment

Oh yea, a 23.5 gal propane tank is commonly called a 100 pound propane tank, and they are tipically 48" tall by 12" in diameter,

Available at your local Lowes for around $120.00

Comment

20 lb propane tank here where I live is .79 per pound to fill . that is $15.80 plus 6% tax which equals $16.75 At 4.25 lbs per gallon that = 4.7 Gallons in a 20 lb bottle. $3.564 per gallon. Which is almost the same price as gasoline where I live. However if you fill a 110 gallon tank (delivery included) the price drops to 3.02 per gallon including tax. The catch is you have to purchase a minimum of 100 gallons every year. Since i only use a small propane heater in the winter to help offset my heat pump (oxy-moron) I wind up only using 4 or less 20 lb bottles per year. which is $67.00 annually as compared to $302.00 annually when using propane. 4 bottles or less than 19 gallons satisfies my needs for a winter. It costs around $7.50 per month just to be hooked onto natural gas plus the gas you use, Propane is the best deal for me.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                    Working...
                    X