Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calculate IU

Hi guys,

I have a solution to prepare but for some reason i am stuck..
    I have a vial (1.5ml) with 300 IU/ml FSH.. From that I need to use just a 10 IU/ml. So I need to take from the vial just 50 microliters? this equals 10 IU/ ml, right?
    In addition, I need to make a solution with 10 IU/ml FSH into PBS, although I do not know the final volume that the FSH/PBS must have.. Although I need just 1ml of the final solution

Any help mych appreciated..
    Gio

Re: calculate IU

Originally posted by gio_1980
    Hi guys,

I have a solution to prepare but for some reason i am stuck..
    I have a vial (1.5ml) with 300 IU/ml FSH.. From that I need to use just a 10 IU/ml. So I need to take from the vial just 50 microliters? this equals 10 IU/ ml, right?
    In addition, I need to make a solution with 10 IU/ml FSH into PBS, although I do not know the final volume that the FSH/PBS must have.. Although I need just 1ml of the final solution

Any help mych appreciated..
    Gio
    If you need 1 mL of 10 IU/mL solution, then you need 10 IU.

You must withdraw 10 IU from a stronger solution of 300 IU/mL, hence you need
    10 IU x 1 mL/300 IU = 33.3 L of the stronger solution.
    That must be diluted to a final volume of 1 mL with water, or whatever the appropriate liquid is.

You might make an amount that avoids messy fractions after the division
    0.9 mL: Use 30 L, dilute to 0.9 mL
    1.2 mL: Use 40 L, dilute to 1.2 mL

Actually, use x, dilute to final volume of 30x
    Last edited by JohnS; 03-02-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much John

Comment

In addition, you would normally make these final solutions up in a volumetric flask, as you can get small volume changes whn mixing different solutions.

Comment

How to calculate the enzyme units

hi guys,
          after induction i purified the sample and i got the required protein by protein purification technique. i got the purified protein in three elutes. elute-1, elute-2, elute-3. by lowry method i got the value of 0.032mg/ml. i used 5 mL of bacterial culture.
          I used 150microlitres to elute the sample for three times.
          May i know how to calculate IU/mL.

Comment

You have 300 IU/cc. You need 10 IU.

It is unusual to have a vial label which does not have the concentration as amount per cc verses amount concentrated as you stated.

For a volume this small, I would draw up 0.33 cc (100 IU) and dilute into a total volume of 10 cc, resulting in a concentration of 10 IU/cc.

Another way would be to draw up 1.0 cc and dilute to a total volume of 30 cc, resulting in a concentration of 10 IU/cc.

Another way would be to draw up 0.5 cc and dilute to a total volume of 15 cc, resulting in a concentration of 10 IU/cc.

Regards
            C
            Last edited by Carl M; 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Re: How to calculate the enzyme units

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              hi guys,
              after induction i purified the sample and i got the required protein by protein purification technique. i got the purified protein in three elutes. elute-1, elute-2, elute-3. by lowry method i got the value of 0.032mg/ml. i used 5 mL of bacterial culture.
              I used 150microlitres to elute the sample for three times.
              May i know how to calculate IU/mL.
              IU is a measure of activity, not mass, volume or weight. It is completely dependent on the item being measured.

Comment

calculate IU

I have TSH 10 UG stock. I need a 100 IU/mL TSH solution. Any Idea how to make this solution.

Arjmand

Comment

What is the volume of the UG? Also, exactly what is UG? IU is international units.

Comment

Re: convertion of IU to milligrams

I have a vial consisting of 100mu/vl of penicillin G. I have to prepare a solution with a concentration of 10micrograms/ml. I am stuck at this point. Any help in this regard will be appreciated

Cheers
                    Vasu

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                    Working...
                    X

Debug Information