How to covert ammonia levels to ug/dl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to covert ammonia levels to ug/dl

I just got my tests back from a lab and I would like to convert 6.5 mmol/dl of ammonia to micrograms per dl

can to help me out?

Re: How to covert ammonia levels to ug/dl

Originally posted by steve198329@hotmail.com
    I just got my tests back from a lab and I would like to convert 6.5 mmol/dl of ammonia to micrograms per dl

can to help me out?
    Please check the units again. I believe there may be some confusion between millimoles and micromoles and/or between liters and deciliters.

The basic conversion between grams and moles requires knowing the molecular weight, which is also the molar mass. For ammonia, NH3, it is 17.03 g/mol. The rest is a matter of prefix manipulation.

If 6.5 mmol/dL were correct (I Believe it is NOT!!), it would convert as follows
    6.5 mmol/dL x 17.03 g/mol = 110.7 mg/dL = 110700 g/dL

This is seriously outside the normal range. In addition, based on the JAMA medical conversions page link posted in resources, the normal "International" way of expressing ammonia is mol/L (micromoles per liter).

IF we assume those are the units, the conversion would proceed as
    6.5 mol/L x 17.03 g/mol x 1L/10 dL = 11.07 g/dL

Both numbers should be considered unreliable until you have sorted out the units.

Comment

Re: How to covert ammonia levels to ug/dl

OH, wait never mind. Those are amino acid analyte markers for ammonia which is 6.5. Sorry, but thanks so much for your help anyway

Comment

Working...
      X