X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to covert ammonia levels to ug/dl

I just got my tests back from a lab and I would like to convert 6.5 mmol/dl of ammonia to micrograms per dl

can to help me out?

Re: How to covert ammonia levels to ug/dl

Originally posted by steve198329@hotmail.com
    I just got my tests back from a lab and I would like to convert 6.5 mmol/dl of ammonia to micrograms per dl

can to help me out?
    Please check the units again. I believe there may be some confusion between millimoles and micromoles and/or between liters and deciliters.

The basic conversion between grams and moles requires knowing the molecular weight, which is also the molar mass. For ammonia, NH3, it is 17.03 g/mol. The rest is a matter of prefix manipulation.

If 6.5 mmol/dL were correct (I Believe it is NOT!!), it would convert as follows
    6.5 mmol/dL x 17.03 g/mol = 110.7 mg/dL = 110700 µg/dL

This is seriously outside the normal range. In addition, based on the JAMA medical conversions page link posted in resources, the normal "International" way of expressing ammonia is µmol/L (micromoles per liter).

IF we assume those are the units, the conversion would proceed as
    6.5 µmol/L x 17.03 g/mol x 1L/10 dL = 11.07 µg/dL

Both numbers should be considered unreliable until you have sorted out the units.

Comment

Re: How to covert ammonia levels to ug/dl

OH, wait never mind. Those are amino acid analyte markers for ammonia which is 6.5. Sorry, but thanks so much for your help anyway

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X