X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square feet to tons

Robby I'm an asphalt paver this old timer awhile back gave me this formula to figure out how many tons of asphalt it would take for a square foot measurment it works perfect I'm usually within a half of a ton extra when I'm done paving a driveway/parking lot ect. the formula is this.

square feet-divided by 9-times 112-times thickness-divided by 2000 pounds

what is the divided by 9 and the times 112 mean what are those numbers he told me what they were but I cant remeber I've figured out so many jobs with this formula I do it almost unconciously you know. If you can help me out with this that would be great its driving me nutts under this is an example maybe there is something out there thats even better to figure out asphalt.

2389 square feet-div by 9-times 112-times 3inch thick-div 2000=44.5946667tons I would usually round up to the next number always good for alittle extra so call it 45tons

Re: square feet to tons

Originally posted by steveo163
    Robby I'm an asphalt paver this old timer awhile back gave me this formula to figure out how many tons of asphalt it would take for a square foot measurment it works perfect I'm usually within a half of a ton extra when I'm done paving a driveway/parking lot ect. the formula is this.

square feet-divided by 9-times 112-times thickness-divided by 2000 pounds

what is the divided by 9 and the times 112 mean what are those numbers he told me what they were but I cant remeber I've figured out so many jobs with this formula I do it almost unconciously you know. If you can help me out with this that would be great its driving me nutts under this is an example maybe there is something out there thats even better to figure out asphalt.

2389 square feet-div by 9-times 112-times 3inch thick-div 2000=44.5946667tons I would usually round up to the next number always good for alittle extra so call it 45tons
    Looking at this, and attempting to reverse engineer it, I think:
    *The 9 factor is to convert from sq. ft to sq. yd. With units it is 9 ft²/yd²
    *The 2000 factor is the number of pounds per ton, 2000 lb/ton.
    *If those are correct, then 112 is an empirical factor for the weight in pounds of a section 1 sq yd (9 sq ft) by 1 inch thick. 112 lb/(yd²·in).

1 sq yd by 1" thick is 0.75 ft³, so this is equivalent to 149.3 lb/ft³ or 4032 lb/yd³. I seem to remember learning 144 lb/ft³, but asphalt can certainly vary with the aggregate and the compaction.

Comment

John S your the best thats exacly what it all means the guy that told me this formula was working at one of the asphalt plants that we get mix from and he worked in the lab so I would assume he knows whats up but I could be wrong. like I say its been working out although this one type of mix in perticular when figure with this formula I always end up with a good amount left over at the end of the job. If I found out the density was more or less than 112 and say it was 124 would the formula stay the same except change 112 to 124? And the next question would be how would I find out the density of materials like asphalt dirt stone and so on? thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by steveo163
        John S your the best thats exacly what it all means the guy that told me this formula was working at one of the asphalt plants that we get mix from and he worked in the lab so I would assume he knows whats up but I could be wrong. like I say its been working out although this one type of mix in perticular when figure with this formula I always end up with a good amount left over at the end of the job. If I found out the density was more or less than 112 and say it was 124 would the formula stay the same except change 112 to 124? And the next question would be how would I find out the density of materials like asphalt dirt stone and so on? thanks again for your help.

Yes, you would just adjust for density. However, density is normally stated for some cubic unit, either pounds per cubic foot or per cubic yard.

It would be possible to tweak the 9 factor to convert to cubic feet or cubic yards. If you always measure square feet of area and inches of thinckness, then divide by 12 for cubic feet or 324 for cubic yards, then use a density which is pounds per cubic foot or per cubic yard.

Density of materials can vary, especially crushed or broken material like stone where there are voids between pieces. Typical weights are listed in some references, but can vary with source. It is probably best to ask the supplier.

Comment

'THE STEVEO FORMULA' - converting square feet to tons

All,

Here is what 'THE STEVEO FORMULA' looks like epressed as an algebraic equation:

X ÷ 9 x 112 x Y ÷ 2000

Where X = square feet and Y = thickness

__________________________________________________ _______________

If using the formula in an EXCEL cell, copy and paste this (paranthesis must be exactly as shown for it to work):

(((((X)/9)*112)*Y)/2000)

Again, X = square feet and Y = thickness

Pay It Forward.

Good luck and good day to you all.

Comment

'THE STEVEO FORMULA' - converting square feet to tons

All,

Here is what 'THE STEVEO FORMULA' looks like expressed as an algebraic equation:

X ÷ 9 x 112 x Y ÷ 2000

Where X = square feet and Y = thickness

If using the formula in an EXCEL cell, copy and paste this (paranthesis must be exactly as shown for it to work):

(((((X)/9)*112)*Y)/2000)

Again, X = square feet and Y = thickness

Pay It Forward.

Good luck and good day to you all.

Joe

Comment

I have a lighweight aggregate fill project 500' x 60' x 30" , how do you figure out how many cubic yards this is?

Comment

Hey stevo instead of typing all those numbers into your formula for asphalt tonnage you could just use (sf*thickness)/160.7

its a little easier if your putting it into exel or something or by hand you'l be less likely to make a mistake

to this guys question
                I have a lighweight aggregate fill project 500' x 60' x 30" , how do you figure out how many cubic yards this is?

just (500*60*(30/12))/27

.....you convert inches to feet by dividing by 12... (2.5') you then multiply l x w x t giving you 75,000 Ft^3. You then divide by 27... which is just 3 cubed , 3 because there is 3 feet in a yard and cubed because you going from cubic feet to cubic yards. 2778 cy if theres waste or shrink you will need to adjust for that too. probably by multiplying by 1.05 giving you 2917 cy

Comment

Hi All,
                  Thank you for this ussefull info. I'm planning to cover new lond driveway 20' wide x 300' long by 8" thick with Class 5. This goes over clay.
                  Some people I talk to suggested to have 2" 3/4 rock under 6" of class 5.
                  Question:
                  1) Do I need 3/4 rock? IF yes - then how much (i dont know the density) .
                  2) What my formula would looks like for class5 (again i dont know the density)

Thank you much,
                  Alex

Comment

need to figure tons of rock to build 5 smaal parking lots need math formula

Comment

How do to calculate total area usage by sqft from ton?

Comment

Easy sq. ft x .0066 = tons per 1 inch thick

Comment

1728 is cubic inch, 165 cubic ft of limestone. length x width x depth = ______/1728=____x 165.

try that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                          Working...
                          X