X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert mmol/l to mg/dl

Thank you in anticipation: I need to convert mmol per l into mg per l - please! Also can you tell me what 'mmol' are? (I'm OK with the milligrams per litre!) Ginny

Re: convert mmol/l to mg/dl

Originally posted by UnregisteredGinny
    Thank you in anticipation: I need to convert mmol per l into mg per l - please! Also can you tell me what 'mmol' are? (I'm OK with the milligrams per litre!) Ginny
    "mmol" is millimole. I suspect this leads to the question, what is a whole mole?

The mole is a metric term for the amount of substance based on the number of atoms or molecules. That number is very large and known as Avogadro's number, about 6.02 x 10^23. The formal definition is the number of atoms contained in 12 g of carbon-12. The molar mass in grams per mole of anything is numerically equal to the atomic weight for an atom, or the molecular weight for a molecule.

The concept is important in balancing chemical equations and determining which reactant will limit the reaction.

Since the molar mass is the molecular weight of a substance, it is unique to the substance. Conversion between moles and grams is substance specific.

Comment

OK; & am really glad I asked, since my chemistry learning slowed right down 45yrs ago. I've got the biochem. for "Glucose - Random...... 3.8 mmol/l". To then calculate my horse's G:I ratio (glucose:insulin) that glucose needs to be mg/l. BIG thankyou. Ginny

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        OK; & am really glad I asked, since my chemistry learning slowed right down 45yrs ago. I've got the biochem. for "Glucose - Random...... 3.8 mmol/l". To then calculate my horse's G:I ratio (glucose:insulin) that glucose needs to be mg/l. BIG thankyou. Ginny
        The molar mass of glucose is 180 g/mol,
        so 3.8 mmol/L is 684 mg/L, or 68.4 mg/dL.

In the "resources" section, I posted a link to conversions for lab tests used by the Journal of the American Medical Association. You might find it helpful.

Comment

convert mmol/l to mg/dl

Originally posted by UnregisteredGinny
          millimolesper litre to milligrams per decilitre in the blood suger level

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            millimolesper litre to milligrams per decilitre in the blood suger level
            1 mmol/L = 18 mg/dL. To understand why, read posts #2, #4.

Comment

Originally posted by UnregisteredGinny View Post
              How to convert Blood Glucose 8.5 milli mole/ Litre to mg/dl

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                How to convert Blood Glucose 8.5 milli mole/ Litre to mg/dl
                Multiply by 18. See posts 2, 4, 6 for explanation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                Working...
                X