X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mEq to mg conversion

I am trying to convert from K-lyte potassium tablets which are 25mEq to another potassium tablet which has 40 milligrams per tablet in order to know how much of the tablet to take. please help. thank you

Re: mEq to mg conversion

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I am trying to convert from K-lyte potassium tablets which are 25mEq to another potassium tablet which has 40 milligrams per tablet in order to know how much of the tablet to take. please help. thank you
    Since potassium ionizes to K+ in water (single valence charge) 25 mEq = 25 mmol. The molar mass is 39.1 g/mol = 978 mg.

Comment

You cannot correctly calculate the equivalent amount of your potassium tablet unless you know which potassium the tablet is. For example: Potassium gluconate contains 4.3mEq per 1000mg, Potassium citrate contains 9.8mEq per 1000mg, Potassium Bicarbonate contains 10mEq per 1000mg, Potassium Acetate contains 10.2mEq per 1000mg and Potassium Chloride contains 13.4mEq per 1000mg. K-lyte is Potassium Chloride. Note also that elemental potassium is 39mg per 1mEq, but potassium chloride is 75mg per 1mEq. Confused? join the crowd.

Comment

[pottasium gluconate coversion mEq to mg

Comment

maybe you can, since converting mEq to mg is done by multiplying mEq by its milliequivalent weight, so dividing the mg value of potassium in the other pill which is 40 mg by its (potassium's) milliequivalent weight which is 39.098, you'll get 24.43625 tablets, that's a lot of tablets! anyway I may be wrong, but another calculation seems to check it, using your 978 mg value: 978 mg/40 mg of the replacement pill= 24.45 tablets!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;68269][pottasium gluconate coversion mEq to mg[/QU
            I am trying to calculate gluconate mEq/L
            The formulation contains 19 g calcium gluconate/100 mL and 4.5 g calcium glucoheptonate/100 mL
            Could you please help me
            Thank you for your assistance

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;72910]
              Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              [pottasium gluconate coversion mEq to mg[/QU
              The formulation contains 19 g calcium gluconate/100 mL and 4.5 g calcium glucoheptonate/100 mL
              Could you please help me
              There seems to be something regarding mEq in tablets that us non-medical types don't understand.

"Equivalents" and "Normality" used to be used to describe how much of a solution would react with something else. You had to find how many electrons per molecule were taking part in the reaction, and calculate the electronic (or equivalent) concentration of the solution based on that. a 1N solution had a concentration of 1 equivalent per litre.

What is being discussed here seems to be something quite different. If anyone cares to enlighten us, that would be very nice.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;72910]
                [pottasium gluconate coversion mEq to mg[/QU
                Could you please help me
                Mrs X,
                I'm a little confused too, but I think the first line is a quote from an earlier problem and irrelevant to the question. There is no tablet. (I think)

Unregistered,
                So you have 190 g/L of calcium gluconate and 45 g/L of calcium glucoheptonate. Per Wikipedia, the molar masses are 430.373 g/mol and 490.425 g/mol respectively. 190 g/L x 1 mol/430.373 g = 441.5 mmol/L of calcium gluconate. That ionizes to 441.5 mmol of Ca++, hence 883 mEq/L of calcium, and 883 mmol of (C6H11O7)-, or 883 mEq/L

(You have additional calcium and glucoheptonate ions present from the other compound, but you only asked about gluconate.)

Comment

In that case, the normality of the solution might depend on what is happening with the gluconate. The number of electrons per molecule to balance the equation will depend whether it is going to an acid or CO2 (for example).

Comment

25 mEq k : 975 mg k per tablet

Comment

plz tell me the conversation of 4meq to mg./..waiting ..urgent needed

Comment

plz tell me the conversation of 4meq to mg./..waiting ..urgent needed
                        It depends on what the substance is. You need to know the valence of the ion, and its molecular weight.

Comment

I take 4 mEq but would like to know how many mg pills I would need to take instead.

Comment

I take 4 mEq but would like to know how many mg pills I would need to take instead.
                            See post 12

Comment

If post #3 is correct and Potassium gluconate has 4.3 mEq /1000 mg and Potassium Chloride has 13.4 mEq /1000 mg then wouldn't you just need to take 3 times as much gluconate as chloride by volume to get the same amount of potassium?
                              For instance if you are taking 2 grams of Potassium Chloride wouldn't you need six grams of potassium gluconate unless they have different absorbability in the body? Also 6 grams may taste a lot more salty than 2 grams?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X