X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 L = ? kg of soil

Hi, can you help me. I want to buy soil for my flowerpot and serched the Internet and I found formula for volume of flowerpot and I calculated, it is 3231cm cubic. How much soil should I buy?

Re: 1 L = ? kg of soil

Originally posted by slogi
    Hi, can you help me. I want to buy soil for my flowerpot and serched the Internet and I found formula for volume of flowerpot and I calculated, it is 3231cm cubic. How much soil should I buy?
    The density of soil is uncertain, depending on whether it is dry or damp, and for potting mixes, how much lightweight ingredients like vermiculite are added, and how much you compress it.

3231 cm is 3.23 L, so I'd buy a bag that looks about the size of a gallon of milk (3.8 L)

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Now I am really emabarrassed.
        In the formula I forgot to put number for height so my question lokked a little bit stupide The volume of flowerpot is about 35L (31539 cm cubic).
        That's why I bother so much about kilogramms - it's preety heavy... Thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by slogi

Now I am really emabarrassed.
          In the formula I forgot to put number for height so my question lokked a little bit stupide The volume of flowerpot is about 35L (31539 cm cubic).
          That's why I bother so much about kilogramms - it's preety heavy... Thanks anyway
          That's quite a bit more. My problem is that I have no idea what is available in Serbia.

In the US, potting mix has a lot of lightweight material in it and may only weigh 0.4 kg/L (400 kg/m), while real outdoor soil may weigh from 1000 kg/m for good top soil with a lot of organic material to 1600 kg/m for sand (both dry). Because moisture makes the density so uncertain, it is usually sold by volume here.

Comment

Thank you one more time. I needed just approximate information about kilogramms, just to know how to organize transport.
            About the soil in Serbia I also don't know anything. I know we can buy some soil in supermarkets/ flowermarkets but these are packed in a fabric and have a lot of "manuring" (I hope this word is understandable). So I will buy it at the greenmarkt.
            Flowers are not my occupation I just want to decorate my balcony. Thanks again and don't bother anymore about my question.

Comment

Hi Slogi, we can buy potting mix in 50L bags. That might be your best option? I'm small, and can carry one of these (just), even if it is quite damp.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
              Working...
              X