X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Electric Power KW into Steam Requirement Kgs/Hr@100Psig

Hi, could anyone help me out in converting 1KW into Kgs/Hr@100Psig.
    I would like to know the conversion factor for amount of steam required equivalent to Electric Power.

Re: Convert Electric Power KW into Steam Requirement Kgs/Hr@100Psig

Could anyone help me out in getting the formulae.....

Originally posted by ramkrish_be
    Hi, could anyone help me out in converting 1KW into Kgs/Hr@100Psig.
    I would like to know the conversion factor for amount of steam required equivalent to Electric Power.

Comment

Could anyone help me out in getting the formulae.....
      Are you asking for a thermal equivalent, or how much steam it would take to generate 1 kW of electricity.

If the former, look in steam tables at total enthalpy for your pressure and temperature. If the latter, you need to know the efficiency of your turbine and generator. (probably in the range of 30-35%)

Comment

Hi Mr.John,
        Actually i want to find out the steam requirement equivalent to electric heaters. In case i am heating the 100cfm of air with 1KW of electric heaters then i would like to know the consumption of steam for the same in terms of Kgs/hr @ 100psi.

Comment

Hi Mr.John,
          Actually i want to find out the steam requirement equivalent to electric heaters. In case i am heating the 100cfm of air with 1KW of electric heaters then i would like to know the consumption of steam for the same in terms of Kgs/hr @ 100psi.
          Saturated steam at this pressure is 328 F. The answer will depend on what temperature you cool the steam to in your application. Supposing it is cooled to around 150 F (and condensed to water), my steam table says about 1100 BTU/lb or 2.5 MJ/kg. 1 kWh = 3.6 MJ, so around 1.5 kg/h of 100 psi steam.

The mass requirement would increase considerably if the return line temperature and pressure is closer to the inlet values. It depends on how much of the heat content of the steam you are extracting.

Comment

Hi Mr John,

I want to know the size of a steam generator that can deliver 50,000KWh. How do I proceed with the sizing decision making?

Comment

Dear sir,

I have 15 hp electrical motor for sugar cane crusher and i want to run my sugar can crusher with steam engine so kindly help me how much steam requirement for steam engine.

Regards,

Sursinh
              sursinh_raj@rediffmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                Dear sir,

I have 15 hp electrical motor for sugar cane crusher and i want to run my sugar can crusher with steam engine so kindly help me how much steam requirement for steam engine.

Regards,

Sursinh
                sursinh_raj@rediffmail.com
                A steam engine should be rated for steam requirements at its maximum power.

I am by no means an expert on steam. However, there is an old concept of a boiler horsepower, based on an assumption of requiring 34.5 lb of steam per hour per horsepower. This figure is not reliable as large hi-pressure steam turbines do MUCH better and small piston steam engines do worse. Looking at some small engines, you may need around 50 lb (23 kg) of steam per horsepower hour, thus 340 kg/h for 15 HP.

Comment

Working...
                X