X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conversion from mg/dL to percentage

This is in regards to a blood alcohol level reported as 252mg/dL. How does that convert to percentage regarding the legal limit in California of 0.08%

Re: conversion from mg/dL to percentage

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is in regards to a blood alcohol level reported as 252mg/dL. How does that convert to percentage regarding the legal limit in California of 0.08%
    The US uses a weight over volume method (in essence, assuming 1 dL of blood weighs 100 g; it really weights 105-106 g)

1% is 1 g (1000 mg) per deciliter
    0.1% is 100 mg/dL
    The 0.08% limit is 80 mg/dL
    252 mg/dL is a whopping 0.252%, and at 3X limit, a huge pile of trouble for somebody.

Even in a true weight/weight system, it is about 0.238%.

Comment

John,
      I am doing a correlation study to compare glucose reading from a glucometer vs. the glucose determination obtained by lab analytical procedure.

The units from the glucometer are mg/dL and the units from the lab are mg/100g

It seems to me that both units are equivalents and eventually I can do the correlation directly without any conversion. Is that Ok? or what kind of conversion I have to do before running the correlation analysis?

I will appreciate if you could send me your reply to kmanriquek@yahoo.com

Kurt

Comment

John,
        I am doing a correlation study to compare glucose reading from a glucometer vs. the glucose determination obtained by lab analytical procedure.

The units from the glucometer are mg/dL and the units from the lab are mg/100g

It seems to me that both units are equivalents and eventually I can do the correlation directly without any conversion. Is that Ok? or what kind of conversion I have to do before running the correlation analysis?

I will appreciate if you could send me your reply to kmanriquek@yahoo.com

Kurt
        They are at least very close and there may be a "gentlemen's agreement" they are the same thing. Technically, they should be corrected for the density of blood, which I understand is around 1 dL = 106 g.

I DON'T know whether it is customary to account for this (minor) difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
          They are at least very close and there may be a "gentlemen's agreement" they are the same thing. Technically, they should be corrected for the density of blood, which I understand is around 1 dL = 106 g.

I DON'T know whether it is customary to account for this (minor) difference.
          Many thanks for your reply. Actually I am doing this study not on blood samples, but on samples of potato extracts. Its a common practice in the Canadian potato processing industry to use glucometers as a field method to meassure glucose content.
          Therefore we are trying to proof the correlation of both methods to see the feasibility of using the glucometer in Southamerica as well.
          Your comments will be very much appreciated.
          Kurt

Comment

Please convert 37 mg/dl to percentage

Comment

278mg/dl. How does that convert to percentage regarding the legal limit in Mississippi?

Comment

278mg/dl. How does that convert to percentage regarding the legal limit in Mississippi?
                See postv #2. The legal limit in all states is 80 mg/dL. States may set it lower, but not higher. 278 mg/dL is 0.278 or about 3.5X the legal limit. In many states, it is considered a "super drunk" offence with higher penalties.

Comment

34 mg/dL is what percent and is it considered drunk

Comment

34 mg/dL is what percent and is it considered drunk
                    0.034%. The general limit is 0.08%, but there are special (lower) limits in many states for special categories such as people underage, pilots, commercial drivers, etc.

Comment

conversion from 21mg/dl to percentage

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                        See postv #2. The legal limit in all states is 80 mg/dL. States may set it lower, but not higher. 278 mg/dL is 0.278 or about 3.5X the legal limit. In many states, it is considered a "super drunk" offence with higher penalties.
                        This isn't true. States can set the blood alcohol limit at whatever they want. However, the Federal government has decided to refuse to give states highway funds unless it's set at 0.08 (or 80mg/dL). For many years, Louisiana refused to lower its limit from 0.10, and got no funding as a result.

Comment

This isn't true. States can set the blood alcohol limit at whatever they want. However, the Federal government has decided to refuse to give states highway funds unless it's set at 0.08 (or 80mg/dL). For many years, Louisiana refused to lower its limit from 0.10, and got no funding as a result.
                          Technically true, but practically, 100% of States take the funding. On this basis, all accepted 0.08% alcohol, and the 55 mph national speed limit. It was the Feds who repealed the 55 mph law and allowed the States to set their own speed limit without penalty. A number of other Federal requirements are "enforced" by threat of withholding massive amounts of Federal largess and all States "roll over."

Comment

What does 132 convert too in %

Comment

alchol level reads 7 mg/dl reads <10 does this mean no alcohol recorded?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X