Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Cubic Meters to Square Meters

I have a lumber product at a fixed size of 21mm x 145mm x 1200mm and I can fit approximately 924.37 linear feet of this per cubic meter in a container. Weight requirements cannot exceed 18 cubic meters per container. I have two containers. What is the cost per square meter (total cost also) if the price is $2,800 per cubic meter. Please let me know if you need any other information. And please advise as how to calculate. I'm bashing my head against the desk!
  • JohnS
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
    • Dec 2007

Re: Cubic Meters to Square Meters

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have a lumber product at a fixed size of 21mm x 145mm x 1200mm and I can fit approximately 924.37 linear feet of this per cubic meter in a container. Weight requirements cannot exceed 18 cubic meters per container. I have two containers. What is the cost per square meter (total cost also) if the price is $2,800 per cubic meter. Please let me know if you need any other information. And please advise as how to calculate. I'm bashing my head against the desk!
    I am a bit uncertain as to what to take as the basic data here. If I take the product dimensions, each piece is 0.21 m x 0.145 m x 1.2 m, or 3.654E-03 m³ per piece. Taking the reciprocal, I would expect to fit 273 pieces or 327.6 linear meters in a cubic meter. However, your figure of 924.37 linear ft is 281.75 m. It is also not an integer, being around 234.8 pc. Lets assume 234 pieces per m³, but this really needs to be checked out.

Do you know there are really 18 m³ of product in each container? If so, you have 36 m³ total x 234 pcs/m³ or 8424 pcs.

Per cubic meter, you have 234 pcs x 1.2 m x 0.145 m, or a total area of 40.72 m². If the cost is $2800/m³, then it is $2800/40.72 m² or $68.77 m².

If you have 36 m³, the total cost is 36 x$2800 = $100800.
    The total area is 36 m³ x 40.72 m²/m³, or 1466 m², and you get the same cost per square meter, within rounding.

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks John,

My apologies, I worded that incorrectly; I understood that the totals would be the same. In regards to how many linear feet per cubic meter I can fit, I rounded a standard 5/4 x 6 deck board and converted it and your piece count per cubic meter is very close to the measurements I use to price out container shipments and tallies. 234 pieces at approximately 4' long we're looking at 936LF/m3.

I'm not any math whiz whatsoever, but through my conversions I calculated $2.89 per linear foot and multiplied that by 10.76 to get my m2 cost. Pretty close, although I really have no idea how I got to that figure.

Thanks again as I will keep this formula for next time!

DB

Comment

• Unregistered

i have a pool which is 1.8 meters deep and 10 meters long and 6 meters wide. which would make it 108 cubic meters. Considering the size of the the walls of the pools i need to know the amount of square meters this pool covers. For refinishining I have a price of X Dollars per square meter. can you help with the computations.

Comment

• JohnS
          Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          i have a pool which is 1.8 meters deep and 10 meters long and 6 meters wide. which would make it 108 cubic meters. Considering the size of the the walls of the pools i need to know the amount of square meters this pool covers. For refinishining I have a price of X Dollars per square meter. can you help with the computations.
          The pool has a bottom of 60 m², and two walls of 18 m² and 10.8 m², assuming uniform depth. Thus 60 m² + 2*(18 m² + 10.8 m²) = 118 m²

Comment

Working...
          X