Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating Gallons of Grape Must from Pounds?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating Gallons of Grape Must from Pounds?

Does anyone have any idea how to calculate the number of gallons I have from the weight of must (crushed grapes)? Would it be close to just divide by 8.34 (water)? Calculations for adding yeast, nutrients, etc are all given for gallons but when my fermenters are filled by weight and I've been mostly guessing at the number of gallons so far.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Calculating Gallons of Grape Must from Pounds?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does anyone have any idea how to calculate the number of gallons I have from the weight of must (crushed grapes)? Would it be close to just divide by 8.34 (water)? Calculations for adding yeast, nutrients, etc are all given for gallons but when my fermenters are filled by weight and I've been mostly guessing at the number of gallons so far.

Thanks in advance.
    Using the value for water would be gairly close.

I believe the sugar content would make it slightly higher. A hydrometer is a relatively inexpensive glass float (about $20) for measuring density or specific gravity. If SG were 1.05, the weight per gallon would be 5% higher than water, 8.76 lb/gallon.

I would suggest researching typical starting SG on the Internet or buying a hydrometer. As the sugars are fermented, the SG will fall to a value close to 1.00 or a little below. Thus SG is used to monitor fermentation throughout the process.

Note that hydrometers which are sensitive (give high resolution readings) have a relatively narrow range. Do some research to determine range most relevant to wine-making.

Do you have an empty fermenter? Fill it with water and weight (weigh empty first). Use a dipstick to measure depth, and weight to establish gallons. Make a table. If your other fermenters are the same size (nominally) they will all be close)

Comment

Re: Calculating Gallons of Grape Must from Pounds?

Thanks for the great advice! I do have a hydrometer the complication at this point is getting enough liquid from the must to fill my graduated cylinder. If I can't get enough liquid I will try the water method. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X