X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need square footage and acreage of irregular shaped land

back left (angled like a very wide upside down "V"): 70' (no degrees given for either of the back measurements)
    back right (also angled as above): 75'
    left side: 96.76', N82degrees 30'25"ER
    right side: 158.38', N54degrees 14'38"WR
    front: 37.74', 43degrees 14'57"

Can someone please help me with this? I just purchased this property and this is the information I see on the plot map I was given. I don't know how to figure square footage, nor acreage so I'm hoping someone can figure them both for me. Thank you so much!

Re: Need square footage and acreage of irregular shaped land

Originally posted by dannahbanana16 View Post
    back left (angled like a very wide upside down "V"): 70' (no degrees given for either of the back measurements)
    back right (also angled as above): 75'
    left side: 96.76', N82degrees 30'25"ER
    right side: 158.38', N54degrees 14'38"WR
    front: 37.74', 43degrees 14'57"

Can someone please help me with this? I just purchased this property and this is the information I see on the plot map I was given. I don't know how to figure square footage, nor acreage so I'm hoping someone can figure them both for me. Thank you so much!
    On the front, you have omitted the quadrant on the angle, N/s before the angle and E/W afterward. Do you have that info?

Edit: Also look at the two back lot lines. Do they line up with the lot lines of any other lot, and are the angles designated there? Often the angle will only be designated once, but the line is specified by several short lengths corresponding to the individual lots.

Edit 2: Pending the info requested above, I think the answer is 11298.5 ft² or 0.259 acre.

Draw a dotted line across the back lines 70' and 75' dividing the figure into a triangle and a quadrilateral.
    The quadrilateral has three sides specified for both length and bearing angle (the missing quadrant must be NE or it is a VERY bizarre land shape). Our traverse calculator, can calculate this, the fourth side for closure (132.825') and the area, 9368.6 ft² of the quadrilateral.
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/shap...y_traverse.htm

With the fourth side closure calulated, the three sides of the triangle are known, and area can be calculated by Heron's formula with the scalene triangle calculator,
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/shap...e_triangle.htm

The triangle area is 1929.9 ft², and the total area 11298.5 ft²
    Last edited by JohnS; 09-22-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X