X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood pellets:cubic feet per ton

I recently purchased wood pellets by the ton. I then sold smaller quantities to my neighbors. Unfortunately, none of us has a scale to measure this sort of weight, so we could only measure them in cubic feet.

So, how many cubic feet are in a ton of wood pellets? Every supplier I've asked has given me a different answer. Thank you!

Re: wood pellets:cubic feet per ton

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I recently purchased wood pellets by the ton. I then sold smaller quantities to my neighbors. Unfortunately, none of us has a scale to measure this sort of weight, so we could only measure them in cubic feet.

So, how many cubic feet are in a ton of wood pellets? Every supplier I've asked has given me a different answer. Thank you!
    I would expect both the species of wood and how they are pelletized to affect the answer. I would think your best bet is when you take delivery of a ton, put in an empty box that you can compute the volume of (you need the height of the wood chips, not the box, but use the box length and width)

Comment

To expect that species would effect the volume is incorrect. Wood pellets are manufactured (as you surely know) by forcing granulated wood through a die. the density of the material is quite uniform because the pressure required to extrude the material through the die is higher than that required to collapse the material cell structure. therefore, the material is compressed to a uniform density. The volume difference between hardwood and softwood pellets would be less per bag than you could put in the palm of your hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        To expect that species would effect the volume is incorrect. Wood pellets are manufactured (as you surely know) by forcing granulated wood through a die. the density of the material is quite uniform because the pressure required to extrude the material through the die is higher than that required to collapse the material cell structure. therefore, the material is compressed to a uniform density. The volume difference between hardwood and softwood pellets would be less per bag than you could put in the palm of your hand.
        Well, that could be true. You'd think if it was true then someone would have measured and published the density of "universal wood pellets." Unfortunately, I didn't find solid data like that in a Google search.

Doing more Googling, I have found various figures ranging from 40 - 47 lb/ft³, thus 42.5 - 50 cubic feet per ton.
        Last edited by JohnS; 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Normally wood chips are approx 400kg-475kg per m3 and wood pellets are approx 650 kg per m3

So, 650kg is 1,430 lb's and there are 35.31 cubic feet in a cubic metre so

One cubic foot of wood pellets is approx 40.5 lbs

Comment

Hi all,

There is some info on the pellet fuel institute website. Premium pellets need to weigh at least 40 lbs / cuft. The range for premium is 40 to 46 lbs.

The last response was correct with 40.5 lbs / cuft. But moisture, pressure during manufacturing, etc influence the final result. There is a range, but it may vary.

Simon

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
            Working...
            X