X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Land to Square Feet

What is the formula to convert a parcel of land to square feet?
    I am currently trying to figure the square feet of a 4 sided parcel.
    Side 1: 100 feet
    Side 2: 158 feet
    Side 3: 81 feet
    Side 4: 135 feet

Re: Convert Land to Square Feet

That is called an irregular polygon, and you cant calculate the area without also knowing the length of one of the diagonals.

We have to split the shape into two triangles and calculate the area of each.

Comment

How do I find the square foot of a parcel of land with 4 sides and each side is a different dimension.

Example: North Side is 168.30'
      East Side is 80.51'
      South Side is 154.04'
      West Side is 58.70'

What is the square feet of this parcel of land???

Comment

[QUOTE=marcie]What is the formula to convert a parcel of land to square feet?
        Side 1: 664
        Side 2: 672
        Side 3:2140
        Side 4: 2125]

Comment

Depending on angles, those same dimensions can result in many different shapes (and areas). As Robert said in post #2, we need more info. That could be:
          *One diagonal
          *One corner angle, and which corner it is (relative to the sides)
          *The bearing angles of each of the side lengths
          (usually shown on real estate plat)

Given only the four sides, there is an expression for the maximum it could be, but it could be anything from that down to (almost) zero. Not very helpful. Without angle info, there is no guarentee it is the max for given dimensions.

Comment

[QUOTE=marcie;6573]What is the formula to convert a parcel of land to square feet?
            Side 2: 150feet
            Side 3: 100feet
            Side 4: 150 feet

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;70213]
              Originally posted by marcie View Post
              Side 2: 150feet
              Side 3: 100feet
              Side 4: 150 feet
              The area of a four-sided figure also depends on the corner angles. IF it is a rectangle (all four corners are 90°), area is 100' x 150' = 15000 ft².

If the corners aren't square, it will be smaller and we would need the angles to calculate area.

Comment

what is the square foot of a parcel of land 67 feet north, 71feet east , 67 feet south and 71
                feet west.

Comment

Originally posted by may;
                  Side 1:67 feet
                  Side 2:71 feet
                  Side 3:67 feet
                  Side 4: 71 feet
                  the schedule hereinbefore

Comment

Originally posted by grey View Post
                    what is the square foot of a parcel of land 67 feet north, 71feet east , 67 feet south and 71
                    feet west.
                    Assuming a rectangular shape, it is 4757 square feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      How do I find the square foot of a parcel of land with 4 sides and each side is a different dimension.

Example: North Side is 168.30'
                      East Side is 80.51'
                      South Side is 154.04'
                      West Side is 58.70'

What is the square feet of this parcel of land???
                      measure from the middle vertically across. then measure from the horizontal at the center and multiply the two measurements. the two measurements is the square ft. Hope this helps you.

Comment

measure from the middle vertically across. then measure from the horizontal at the center and multiply the two measurements. the two measurements is the square ft. Hope this helps you.
                        Please read posts 2 and 5 to see why we need more info, preferably the angles.

This method of averaging opposite sides may provide a rough estimate but it overstates the area. For the above figure, it gives 11218.24 ft²

A formula from geometry guarentees the area is less than 11133.65 ft², and could be considerably less depending on the angles.

Comment

I also have an irregular polygon land plot that I am trying to figure out the square foot area from (as everyone else). However, I do have the bearing angles for 3 of the sides of plot... how do I use this information to obtain the accurate square footage?

Side A: 88.66 ft
                          Side B: 142.21 ft, S77°51'00W
                          Side C: 195.13 ft, N29°38'11W
                          Side D: 223.49 ft, N76°01'34W

Thank you for any instruction you can provide.

Comment

I also have an irregular polygon land plot that I am trying to figure out the square foot area from (as everyone else). However, I do have the bearing angles for 3 of the sides of plot... how do I use this information to obtain the accurate square footage?

Side A: 88.66 ft
                            Side B: 142.21 ft, S77°51'00W
                            Side C: 195.13 ft, N29°38'11W
                            Side D: 223.49 ft, N76°01'34W

Thank you for any instruction you can provide.
                            I am playing around with this, trying to get the figure to close. I'm having some problems, and, therefore, have a few questions:

*Is side A an arc rather than a straight line? If so,. do you known the chord or radius or central angle? If it is an arc, are lines B and D radial to the arc? (they will be marked with a NR for non-radial if they are not).

*Do the four sides connect in A-B-C-D order? To go in that order, do you go clockwise or counterclockwise. Where, in the figure, is side A. As you go in that order, do any of the directions seem reversed from the quadran designators (every line points two ways, and in traverse order may be going the opposite direction of the way surveyor shot)

Comment

Yes, side A is an arc: Bearing: S12°16'23E, Chord: 87.71, Length: 88.66, Radius, 175.00

A is the front, B is the left side, C is the back, and D is the right side and every side connects with the sides to its left and right.

If any of the sides are "traverse" it would be Side B: 142.21 ft, S77°51'00W, since it is the only one labeled 'S'.

Thank you SO much for trying to help me with this. I truly would not know where to begin.

Comment

Working...
                              X