Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to covert CC to horsepower

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Im having trouble finding a site that can convert CC into horsepower. I was wondering if you knew how to change 246 cc into h/p somehow.
    plz tell me the method how to convert cc to hp

Comment

4000 cc convert to horsepower
      i have a 173 cc lawn mower engine,roughly how much h.p. is that?

Comment

i have a 173 cc lawn mower engine,roughly how much h.p. is that?
        If you know what brand, model, and age, it may be posted on the manufactures web site. Otherwise you have to hook it up to a scope to measure it. There is no engine volume to horsepower conversion.

Comment

you know you can always go online to the dealers to find out or google the question. Call a local dyno shop to see if they know, or even you take the bike itself to it to find out how much it has. My buddy is in the process of buying a dyno for small vehicles ( ATV's, Moto's, and some cars ) so we can test the theories of conversions. It does depend on octane fuel used, oil, last maintanece, and even what temperature it is where you test it. COLDDER IS BETTER. GET COLD AIR KITS FROM K & M FOR MORE H.P. AND torgue

Comment

"How do I convert CC to horsepower?"

The only "right" answer that actually answers the question is:
            Multiply the CC by what is called "specific output" (power per volume displacement), in the unit of hp/cc. Factor label works out to give you a number in the unit "hp" which is what you want.

Now the question is, how do you get the specific output in hp/cc ? It's easier to just find the horsepower, since it is usually advertised widely. hp/cc or hp/L is harder to find that just finding the horsepower rating from the manufacturer to begin with. If you can't find the horsepower, you're not going to be able to find the specific output.

So, there is no practical reason to try to convert CC to horsepower. The question isn't nonsensical outright, it just isn't the best way to try to find horsepower. There is no one constant you can use to convert if you have no other information, like specific output, rpm limit, etc.

For example, Subaru makes several versions of a 2.5 L engine. They make 170, 235, and 300hp. All the same CC size, but the highest power model makes almost double the power of the lowest! Same manufacturer. The most powerful of those two engines are actually identical as well, same pistons, heads, and block.

So go back the original question and reanalyze what the answer should be:
            "How do I convert CC to horsepower?"

The best answer is that you're wasting your time. You either need to trust the manufacturer's rating, or test it yourself with a dynamometer. You cannot just tell by CC alone how much a motor will make. There is no one multiplier factor.

It's like asking how many gallons a lake holds only knowing the surface area. You also need to know other things, like average depth. Or asking how many watts a light bulb uses only knowing the voltage, but not current or resistance. You have not supplied enough information about the situation.

Comment

I have a Honda 500 Foreman 4x4 four wheeler and it has 475c.c. How many horsepower is that?

Comment

Read through the previous 4 pages of replies here. I just dont think it could be explained any better than it already has.

Comment

quick and easy not accurate but close considering all the factors. so 15-17 cc= 1 hp. I hope this helps. Have a good day!

Comment

[My Scooter is 49.6 cc. I want to know the hourse power of my scooter.

Comment

I Don't Know How Any Of You Figure Hp To Cc But I Have A 789cc Onan Twin Cylinder Engine That Was On An Mtd Garden Tractor And It Is Rated At 20 Hp So If You Divide 789 By 20 You Get 39.45 Cc Per 1-hp The Way I Figured It. This Might Not Be Right But Thats How I Did It And It Seems To Be Accurate As I Was Buying Another Onan Engine That Was 274.4 Cc's No Hp Listed I Guessed It To Be About A 7 Hp Engine When I Got Home I Figured It This Same Way And It Came Out To 6.955640050697084917617237008872 Thats Damn Close To 7 Hp Boy's!!! I Belive My Way Is Pretty Damn Accurate....but What Do I Know I'm Just A Farm Boy Not A Rocket Scientist LIKE ALL OF YOU!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the gut check. now I see why they don't directly convert. I have the same root questions as well, but know now to look for HP as the common measure. In my case, I am window shopping for go-karts for my son and I. Some are 6 HP, some 9 HP, then someone comes along and claims 150CC! I too was trying to be able to just whip out a formula to compare models with as I shopped, guess HP ratings will have to do it. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Comment

convert american dollars to maltese lira

Comment

each cc is about 16.387064 so divide your total cc by 16.387064 to determine close to what the hp is

Comment

Pokey Is Right. I Mean You Change A Jet In A Carb And Increase Air And/or Fuel Intake And Horsepower Will Change. A 350 Ci Chevy Built In The 1983 May Have Produced 145 Hp And A 350 Ci In A Late Model Corvette May Develop 400 - 500 Hp. In The 60`s There Was The 327 At Around 275-300 Hp And You Could Get A 327 In Some Cars With 350 And 375 Hp. Bigger Valves, Exhaust And Fuel Delivery Are All Determining Factors,

Comment

Originally posted by whiteboy4rd
                                "old man" i still dont quite understand if a car (skyline) had 3500cc what would it be in hourse power?
                                it would be 350 horsepower duh all u do is take the last number of the CC off and u got the number of h/p

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                Working...
                                X

Debug Information