X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculate weight using specific gravity

I wanted to check my work with the forum and see if my calculations are correct. I have a single 55 gallon capacity drum containing a liquid. The only information I possess about total weight of the commodity is specific gravity (1.25). Based on this information, I multiplied specific gravity of 1.25, total capacity of container (55 gallons), the total weight of a gallon of water 8.345404 together for a total product of 573.746525 pounds. Is this correct? The only knowledge I have about specific gravity is from recent quick study of the internet.

Any help /direction is greatly appreciated.

Keith
    dkbell@gmail.com

Re: Calculate weight using specific gravity

Originally posted by linesite View Post
    I wanted to check my work with the forum and see if my calculations are correct. I have a single 55 gallon capacity drum containing a liquid. The only information I possess about total weight of the commodity is specific gravity (1.25). Based on this information, I multiplied specific gravity of 1.25, total capacity of container (55 gallons), the total weight of a gallon of water 8.345404 together for a total product of 573.746525 pounds. Is this correct? The only knowledge I have about specific gravity is from recent quick study of the internet.

Any help /direction is greatly appreciated.

Keith
    dkbell@gmail.com
    This is essentially correct (the method is spot on). The density of water (and any liquid) varies with temperature because the volume changes. You really need to know the density of water at the temperature at which the 55 gallons was measured. That might have been 15 C if a petroleum product, or 20 C for many other products. The density might be lower, like 8.33 lb/gallon, and overall weight lower like 572.7 lb. The 55 gallons and the SG are probably not measured accurately enough to support a nine-digit answer (we call this decimal dust)

It is almost certainly in the range 572-574 lb, however, and we are only splitting hairs. Weigh it if you need a more accurate answer.

Comment

Re: Calculate weight using specific gravity

Thanks John I wanted to make sure I read information about specific gravity correctly.

Keith
      dkbell@gmail.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
      Working...
      X