Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaping Tablespoon etc

Hello,

Assuming 1 Tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons,
    What about heaping tablespoons to heaping teaspoons ??

(assuming something like salt or sugar which will form a sort of elliptical cone)

Re: Heaping Tablespoon etc

I checked the Rec.Cooking.FAQ and it did not list anything on the heaping teaspoons or tablespoons.

I know they turn up in recipes from time to time, not sure why it is not in there, all I can say is there is no standard for it.

Comment

Any kind of rough estimate though? I have come across the rule of thumb:

3 Heaping Tbsp = 4 Tbsp

Can anyone else verify this? Thanks.

Comment

I continued looking after I posted here and found this resource, which seems excellent:

german . about . com / library / blrezepte_conv . htm (Had to separate url link)

In the first table they list the mass in grams for various substances of different densities in Heaping Tablespoons (HTS), Tablespoons (LTS = Tbsp), and Teaspoons (TSP = tsp).

Comment

I figured that I would post this here just to save someone else the trouble. (Credited to the link above.)

Conversion Chart - Weight
          Metric Weight to English Volume
          KEY to Symbols:
          HTS=heaping tablespoon, LTS=level tablespoon, TSP=level teaspoon
          Ingredient - Unit of Measure HTS LTS TSP
          Backpulver (baking powder) in grams 8 5 3
          Butter, Margarine in grams 25 15 6
          Grieß (semolina) in grams 20 10 5
          Mehl (flour) in grams 15 10 3
          Salz (salt) in grams 20 10 5
          Wasser, Milch (water, milk) in ml - 15 5
          Zucker (sugar) in grams 20 10 5

Comment

There really is no way to answer this definitively as, while a tablespoon might be a standard unit of measurement, the dimensions of a tablespoon are not. Thus a heaping tablespoon in a broad shallow tablespoon likely contains more than one in a narrow deep tablespoon.

Comment

It depends not only on the dimensions of the tablespoon, as Unregistered pointed out, but the ingredient as well, as can be seen from the extract from blrezepte_conv.htm above. Sugar slides down the slopes, leaving more of a cone, whereas rough coffee granules cling together, and can form more of a vertical mound.

I had occasion to have to calculate/estimate this with coffee this morning, as I received six small gift packages of flavored coffee, and I wanted to know how many cups I should make if I wanted to just dump in one package. The instructions on the package were way too small for my old eyes. There's about 2/3 cup of coffee per package, or 32 teaspoons. (16 tablespoons per cup, 3 teaspoons per tablespoon).

First I scooped a rounded tablespoon of coffee and measured it in terms of level teaspoons. My particular rounded tablespoon held about 5 teaspoons. Then I found the scoop that came with my coffee maker. It yielded about 4 teaspoons. Since almost every coffee recipe calls for a heaping tablespoon per cup, we can assume this scoop is the manufacturer's approximation of a heaping tablespoon. That means my 2/3 cup of grounds would yield 8 cups. Then my husband found his reading glasses, and read that the package yields 8 to 10 cups. So that validated my findings and I went with 8.

So from now on, I'm going to assume that a heaping tablespoon is about 4 teaspoons (1 1/3 Tbsp). And I'll assume that equivalence for any given ingredients, since a "heaping tablespoon" is a wildly inexact measurement, and thus, close is good enough for any recipe that calls for it. And that validates the above approximation, "3 Heaping Tbsp = 4 Tbsp". So we've come full circle.

To go slightly off topic: A "cup" in a coffee carafe (in America anyway) is typically 6 fl. oz. (the amount that might be held by your coffee *cup*), not the 8 fl. oz. of a measuring cup. So I really made 6 measuring cups of coffee. Alton Brown recommends double the usual recommended amount of grounds, saying, "Regardless of method, brew using 2 heaping tablespoons of coffee for each 6 ounces of clean (filtered or bottled), cool water. If you prefer a milder cup, brew to full strength, and then dilute with hot water. Brewing with too little coffee will result in over-extraction, and that means bitterness."
              Last edited by aleatharhea; 01-08-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X