X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion factor: canned beans/dried beans

I have a recipe that calls for a 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained. I wish to make this using dried chickpeas. I have two questions. 1) How many cups are there in a 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained? 2) How many cups of cooked, drained chickpeas will I get from a 1 lb bag of dried chickpeas? The goal is to know how many cups of dried chickpeas I have to cook in order to end up with the same quantity of cooked, drained chickpeas I would get in a 15 oz can. Your assistance is deeply appreciated.

Re: Conversion factor: canned beans/dried beans

Originally posted by wdrbbq View Post
    I have a recipe that calls for a 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained. I wish to make this using dried chickpeas. I have two questions. 1) How many cups are there in a 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained? 2) How many cups of cooked, drained chickpeas will I get from a 1 lb bag of dried chickpeas? The goal is to know how many cups of dried chickpeas I have to cook in order to end up with the same quantity of cooked, drained chickpeas I would get in a 15 oz can. Your assistance is deeply appreciated.
    See this site (scroll to end):
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/conversion_tables.htm

Per it, a 15 oz can yields 1.5 cups drained cooked beans.

When cooking dry beans, they absorb a LOT of water and swell up.
    1 cup dry = 2.5 - 3 cups cooked
    Per the site, chickpeas are toward the 3X end of the scale.

You need to start with at least half a cup, dry. The first time, I would probably start with 2/3 cup to be sure of having enough, and measure the result. Use the extras for something else, or discard. Dry is cheap.

Comment

Thank you very much. You gave me exactly what I was looking for. Case closed.

Comment

Thank you for posting this question. I am having the same problem and now have an answer. I love the internet!

Comment

Yes! I was looking for that info, too. (Recipes should be required to tell you stuff like that.)

Comment

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for! I'd say we're all trying to cook smarter, dry, so much cheaper than canned.

Comment

Me too!! Thank you!!

Comment

Thank you! I'm moving away from canned beans too and this answered my question perfectly.

Comment

Ditto! This is exactly what I needed to know as well. Thank you!

Comment

Perfect!! Was looking exactly for that too to make delicious baked beans for a Christmas party ...
                    Thank you!

Comment

Thank you so much. I am making a big pot of ham and beans for 20 people to day coming for my husbands birthday. I was trying to figure out what dry is when cooked.

Comment

I wanted to know the opposite my recipe asks for 200g dried chick peas and i have only got a jar which is 400g drained weight - Madhur Jafrey's let me down - when wanting to cook an inpromptu diner jar's an tin's are handy to have in stock - recipes would be better indicating dried weight and tin/ jar weight

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          I wanted to know the opposite my recipe asks for 200g dried chick peas and i have only got a jar which is 400g drained weight - Madhur Jafrey's let me down - when wanting to cook an inpromptu diner jar's an tin's are handy to have in stock - recipes would be better indicating dried weight and tin/ jar weight
                          USDA database has data raw, cooked and drained, or canned and drained.
                          Per it 1 cup dry chickpeas is about 200 g. It will cook up to 2.7 cups (drained), weighing about 444 g. Canned should be very similar to cooked so your 400 g drained can will be close but slightly small. You could ignore it or shrink the rest of the recipe 10%.

Comment

Me too! Thanks -

Comment

Most can linings still have BPA (google it), so organic dried garbanzo beans, I would think is the healthiest and least expensive way to go :')

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X