X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the weight of concrete

Hello I was hoping someone could help me figure this out.

I am building a floating floor for a music studio and I need to know the weight per square foot of concrete, so i can calculate the amount of neoprene pucks i need.

The concrete will be 4" high and it will cover a surface area of 156 square feet.

Ultimately I need to know the weight per square foot of concrete that i will be using granted it will cover 156 square feet and be 4inches high. I do not know how to convert cubic feet to square feet to be able to tell how many cubic feet of concrete i will be using. Creating my problem.

Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this equation?

Re: the weight of concrete

Originally posted by Kid2012 View Post

I am building a floating floor for a music studio and I need to know the weight per square foot of concrete, so i can calculate the amount of neoprene pucks i need.

The concrete will be 4" high and it will cover a surface area of 156 square feet.

Ultimately I need to know the weight per square foot of concrete that i will be using granted it will cover 156 square feet and be 4inches high. I do not know how to convert cubic feet to square feet to be able to tell how many cubic feet of concrete i will be using. Creating my problem.

There are 12" in a foot, so 4" is 1/3 ft. Multiply area by thickness, you need 32 ft³. It weighs about 145 lb/ft³ or 4640 lb. 1 ft², 4" thick will be 29.75 lb

However, you should also consider the load on the floor from people, equipment, etc.

Comment

Re: the weight of concrete

Originally posted by Kid2012 View Post

Oops, wrong key somewhere John.

4"/12" = 0.333 ft, so: 156 ft2 * 0.333 ft = 52 ft3

My concrete weights are slightly higher. Standard concrete weighs approximately 150 lb/ft3, dependent on mix design.

52 ft3 * 150 lb/ft3 = 7800 lbs
      7800 lbs / 156 ft2 = 50 lb/ft2

Lightweight concrete is available for applications such as this but I have no specifications on it, so call and talk to a reputable concrete company or three.

As stated, you must consider additional loads to the floor. A call to a structural engineer would definitely be in your best interest.

Comment

Working...
      X