• Show
Clear All

• Bread recipes

Whole wheat dinner rolls.

2 tablespoons dry yeast
    1 cup lukewarm water

1 cup hot water
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup molasses (can use all honey but I love the combination if you don't love molasses I would use 1/2 cup honey instead of the combination of the two)
    3/4 cup oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 eggs, beaten

6 cups whole wheat flour

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Let sit 5 minutes until bubbly.
    Mix the hot water, honey, molasses add eggs, stir well.
    Add the yeast and then work in the flour.
    I knead it in the same bowl I mix it in.

Chill the dough until firm to make it easy to work with.
    Shape into rolls and allow to rise
    bake 425 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

to make the hamburger buns
    roll or shape the dough to about 1/2 inch thick use custard cups to cut
    allow to rise on oiled cookie sheet
    bake 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
    Last edited by Sandra; 03-12-2010, 05:23 AM. Reason: to add that I knead it in the same bowl

Re: Bread recipes

My favorite whole wheat bread

1 cup lukewarm water
    dissolve 2 packages of yeast

1 cup boiled milk cooled
    1/2 cup sugar or I prefer 1/4 cup molasses and 1/4 cup honey instead of sugar if your not used to molasses start with about a tablespoon and use honey for the rest of the 1/2 cup
    1/4 cup oil
    1 teaspoon salt.
    approx 8 cups of whole wheat flour
    (I exchange one of the cups of flour for a combination of 1 or 2 Tablespoons of wheat germ, oat bran, wheat bran and then the remainder of the cup I use soy flour)

mix, knead and let rise, then divide into 2 loafs.
    raise again then bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.
    loaf will sound a little hollow when tapped

Comment

My favorite white bread
      2 packages dry yeast
      2 cups warm water
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 tablespoon salt
      2 eggs
      1/4 cup oil
      6 to 6 1/2 cups unbleached flour
      soft butter or margarine
      dissolve yeast in warm water, stir in sugar, salt eggs, oil and 3 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Mix in enough flour to make dough easy to work.
      Knead and then place in greased bowl, greased side up.
      punch down and divide into 2 loaves, knead again and let rise until double about 1 hour. brush tops with the soft butter.

bake 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes the loafs will sound hollow when done.

I use this for pizza crust too and bake 450 degrees 15 minutes. Makes a deep dish type pizza.

Comment

caramel pecan rolls

1 package dry yeast
        1/4 cup warm water
        1/4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded and then cooled)
        1/4 cup sugar
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        1 egg
        1/4 cup shortening or butter or margarine
        2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
        dissolve yeast in warm water then stir in milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and flour until dough is easy to handle.
        Turn onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth, about 5 min.
        place in greased bowl with greased side up. It can be refrigerated for a few days at this point)
        Cover let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hrs.

Punch down and roll out into large rectangle 15 x 9 inches.

In a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine then mix in 1 cup packed of brown sugar 4 tablespoons corn syrup and 1 cup of pecans

slice dough into 15 slices and place over the caramel mixture and let rise until double

bake 375 degrees for 25 to 30 min.

right after taking out of oven invert onto a slightly larger baking sheet.

these are great warm but allow to cool for awhile to avoid getting burned by the hot caramel.
        Last edited by Sandra; 03-12-2010, 07:34 AM. Reason: to give enough time to type this out

Comment

I forgot to mention the raisins, it is whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread.

I have not converted it to metric yet, but I'll paste what I said about units in the other thread to help anyone converting.

Edit: I went metric on the fly as I prepared this bread this morning. See metric in parentheses. I didn't bother with teaspoons; measure 5 mL. All are "as measured" including any sloppiness on my part and a sample of one. Some could benefit from "sensible rounding."

As US recipes are all volumetric, we need to decide how to give the recipes, though. It may slow me down a bit, but I could weigh cups of flour as I go. Alternatively, we could use the approximation 1 US cup = 240 mL and you could measure volumetrically.

The liquid is no problem, we all measure by volume and Sandra and I could both use mL.

The other ingredients are generally small amounts, and can be measured volumetrically. The US teaspoon is 5 mL, tablespoon is 15 mL, I think the Australian tablespoon is 20 mL. I propose we convert them all to mL, so we don't have to think about "who's spoon."
          This is a bread machine recipe for 1.5 lb loaf. Ingredients are in order of addition to the pan:

Add 1 teaspoon salt to 9 fl oz (270 mL) of water, warm in microwave to about 37 °C, stir to dissolve the salt. Add to pan

1 fl oz canola oil (30 mL)

2 cups whole wheat flour (260 g)
          2 teaspoons dry yeast
          3 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten (25 g)
          1 cup (white) bread flour (142 g)
          3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar (42 g)
          3 Tablespoons dry milk powder (17 g)
          2 teaspoons of cinnamon

1/3 - 1/2 cup ( 97 g) raisins (I use all that fit in "extras" dispenser of machine.)

Start machine, remove promptly when loaf is finished.

Remarks:
          1) The detailed order of ingredients is only important if it sits for a delayed start to be finished at a certain time. The flour layers buffer the yeast from the liquid, salt, and sugar until mixed. Otherwise, all wet, followed by all dry in any order.

2) You can use half milk, half water and omit the dry milk powder, but it shouldn't sit unstarted if you do this.

3) You can substitute butter or another vegetable oil for canola (probably NOT olive oil, as I think the flavor would clash).

4) You can omit the cinnamon and substitute another dried fruit. I have used dried cranberries or cherries. Dried apricots are good (with cinnamon). Fresh or canned fruit gets too beat up in machine mixing.

5) The only way I can get whole wheat to rise well is to use 1/3 bread flour (higher gluten than all purpose) plus extra gluten.

6) You can omit both fruit and cinnamon and it is my basic whole wheat bread recipe.
          Last edited by JohnS; 03-13-2010, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Many thanks Sandra and John. 1 question, what % gluten is your bread flour? - Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs X View Post
              Many thanks Sandra and John. 1 question, what % gluten is your bread flour? - Thanks.
              According to this, it is proportional to total protein, and typically:

http://askville.amazon.com/gluten-co...uestId=4539045
              Cake flour is typically 7-9% protein; pastry, or cookie, ~9-10%; all purpose, 10-12%, bread, 12.5-13.5%, clear and high gluten, 14-15%; gluten "flour" (actually refined gluten), 45%. The protein consists of ~80% gluten, and the gluten of cake flour is weakest, and bread and high gluten flour the strongest, and the intermediate ones increasingly stronger. Gluten is more of less made up of equal parts of gliadin and glutenin.

Gluten strength definition and measurement are not entirely well understood, even by cereal chemists. Generally, you want the most protein and strongest gluten for bagels and breads that also use other poor or non-gluten flours such as rye or oat; moderately strong for all wheat bread; weaker for pastries and cookies; still weaker for cakes such as pound cakes; yet still weaker for "high-ratio," rich cakes; and weakest for angel food cakes. One of the quality tests for soft wheat flour is the "cookie spread test, which is one measure of this. There are also farinographs, elastographs, and whatnot to further attempt to measure this elusive property. Fortunately, with most flours, increasing protein content goes along with increasing gluten strength.
              Looking at the protein content in the nutrition panels on my packages:
              Bread flour: 4 g/30 g serving = 13%
              Gluten "additive": 8g/12 g serving = 67%

Obviously another approach is required for anyone with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, but my whole wheat breads are total failures without added gluten. With enough gluten, I have joked I could make the dead rise, moreless a whole wheat loaf. White bread (from bread flour) usually doesn't require gluten, but I throw in a half tablespoon just to be sure.

There is another additive called lecithin (I have never used it) to help low gluten loaves retain CO2 and rise. Also adding egg or egg white helps.

Comment

John, that might be the reason that my regular bread recipes don't work very well in my bread machine. The only time I've used regular bread flour was when I was making sour dough bread but my starter ended up going bad and I haven't made sour dough since. I thought it was my machine but next time I dig it out I'll have to look for some gluten in the store and see if they have a whole wheat bread flour. I wonder what the difference is in unbleached flour and regular flour since I have always had better luck with unbleached flour. My old favorite recipes were from my grandma so they are very basic recipes.
                Last edited by Sandra; 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra View Post
                  John, that might be the reason that my regular bread recipes don't work very well in my bread machine. The only time I've used regular bread flour was when I was making sour dough bread but my starter ended up going bad and I haven't made sour dough since. I thought it was my machine but next time I dig it out I'll have to look for some gluten in the store and see if they have a whole wheat bread flour. I wonder what the difference is in unbleached flour and regular flour since I have always had better luck with unbleached flour. My old favorite recipes were from my grandma so they are very basic recipes.
                  I have never seen a whole wheat flour labeled as "bread flour." I have seen and tried a few approaches to getting whole wheat to rise, but never had much luck using ONLY whole wheat flor.

Without gluten I got fair results using half whole wheat and half bread flour. With added gluten, I get good results using 2/3 whole wheat and 1/3 bread flour. I should probably experiment with how much gluten for a 100% whole wheat loaf.

Comment

A recipe for glazed cinnamon rolls. I ALWAYS make these for Christmas morning, occasionally other times. The recipe was typed for an older bread machine in which liquids were the last ingredient. My current machine requires liquids first, just reverse.

Also in both the dough and the filling I usually use half white sugar, half dark brown. In the filling, the half and half mixture avoids clumping of the brown sugar

GLAZED CINNAMON ROLLS
                    1 package yeast (or 2 ½ teaspoons dry yeast)
                    3 cups bread flour
                    ¼ cup sugar
                    1 teaspoon salt
                    ---------------------
                    9 ounces skim milk
                    2 Tablespoons butter

½ cup raisins

2 Tablespoons butter, melted
                    Filling:
                    1/3 cup sugar
                    1½ teaspoons cinnamon

Glaze:
                    1 cup powdered sugar
                    1 teaspoon vanilla
                    2 Tablespoons skim milk

Place dry ingredients in pan in order listed. Measure milk in glass measuring cup, add butter, microwave for 70 seconds. Stir until butter is melted or very soft. Pour liquid into pan. Select dough cycle, press start. Add raisins at “fruit signal” five minutes before the end of the second kneading.

Roll dough into 9” by 12” rectangle. Spread butter on dough. Mix cinnamon and sugar as filling, sprinkle over buttered dough. Roll dough tightly into 12” rope and pinch edge to seal. Cut roll into 1” slices, place in greased 9” by 13” pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place 1 to 1¼ hours, until double. Heat oven to 375°, bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack.

Prepare glaze by mixing powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Drizzle glaze over rolls. Best served warmed. Makes 12 rolls.

Comment

Oh, I haven't made this for years but it is great with a hearty soup, stew, chili, etc

The onions and nuts are the only departure from a basic white bread recipe. I'm sure it could be modified to whole wheat. Again the order of liquid and dry ingredients needs to be reversed for most newer bread machines. Due to the strong onion flavor, olive oil is a suitable oil in this recipe.

PECAN AND RED ONION BREAD
                      1 package yeast
                      3 cups bread flour
                      1 Tablespoon gluten
                      3 Tablespoons powdered milk
                      1 Tablespoon sugar
                      1 teaspoon salt
                      3/4 cup chopped fresh Bermuda onion
                      1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
                      ---------------------
                      9 ounces water
                      2 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
                      Add the onions and nuts five minutes before the end of the kneading cycle
                      Last edited by JohnS; 03-12-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

This is a nice seeded rye bread. The rye doesn't contribute to the rising, but it does require extra liquid. Again reverse the order of dry and wet ingredients for most newer bread machines.

RYE BREAD #2
                        1 package yeast (or two teaspoons)
                        1½ cups bread flour
                        1½ cups whole wheat flour
                        3 Tablespoons gluten
                        3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
                        1 cup rye flour
                        1 teaspoon salt
                        1 Tablespoon caraway seeds
                        ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
                        ---------------------
                        11 ounces skim milk (or water + 6 tablespoons dry milk powder)
                        2 Tablespoons canola oil (or olive oil)

Comment

thank you for sharing your recipes of bread.. I have a question, what brand of chocolate is best to add in bread to make it chocolate bread and also for making a blackforest bread?

thanks,

Comment

Whitney are you talking about making quick breads?
                            I like using powdered coco in some recipes I use a many different brands and they all seem to work well.

I also should mention in the recipes that I gave where I used unbleached flour that all purpose flour would work the same, it's just a personal preference.
                            These were my grandma's recipes and she really liked using unbleached flour.

Comment

John
                              I meant to ask you about the texture of the bread you are making.
                              I make bread that is heavier than the store bought white bread.
                              It's much firmer than the white bread more like the old fashioned bread that my grandma loved to bake. She used to bake it on laundry day and let it rise on the dryer. Her homemade bread never seemed to last more than a day or 2 so it was more for a treat. She usually only made it once a week.

When she made the caramel pecan rolls, which wasn't very often because she was usually more into healthy foods, she would make at least 4 batches which was 4 pans full. She made them on holidays like Easter and Christmas and other times when the family would get together.
                              Last edited by Sandra; 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X