Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grams to Grams Per Square Meter

Hi Guys,

Plz note I have a swatch having weight of .46 grams...

Now I need it to convert into Grams per Square Meter...

Need help if there is any formula to convert, Tks / Ibrahim

Re: Grams to Grams Per Square Meter

Originally posted by Ibrahim View Post
    Hi Guys,

Plz note I have a swatch having weight of .46 grams...

Now I need it to convert into Grams per Square Meter...

Need help if there is any formula to convert, Tks / Ibrahim
    Measure the swatch to determine its area, express that area in square meters and divide.

Let us suppose your swatch is 50 mm x 50 mm, that is 0.05 m x 0.05 m = 0.0025 m. Then 0.46 g/0.0025 m = 184 g/m (often written gsm).

Note that it would be desirable to measure a larger piece for better accuracy.

Comment

Re: Grams to Grams Per Square Meter for Molded Tip 7/8

I have a molded plastic tip that weighs 3.8 grams. That is all I know. Is there anyway to determined the GSM for molded parts?
      I also have a plastic tube that measures 7/8 x 120 and need to know how to arrive at the GSM for it.

Can you help?
      Sincere thanks,

Comment

Re: Grams to Grams Per Square Meter for Molded Tip 7/8

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I have a molded plastic tip that weighs 3.8 grams. That is all I know. Is there anyway to determined the GSM for molded parts?
        I also have a plastic tube that measures 7/8 x 120 and need to know how to arrive at the GSM for it.

Can you help?
        Sincere thanks,
        "Gsm" stands for grams per square meter (g/m). It is usually specified for flat sheets of uniform thickness, paper, fabric, plastic. It is not really applicable to more complex 3D shapes.

It is the mass of the sheet divided by the (one-sided) area of the sheet stock. It can also be calculated from material density and thickness.

Comment

Thank you John

In that case, what should I do if I have this molded part (which weighs 3.8 g) being added up with a list (BOM) of other items that are in GSM. On the horizontal calculations, I am arriving at the % of each material that makes up the whole and on the Vertical end, I am arriving at the total weight of the product in grams.

Thanks again

Comment

Thank you John

In that case, what should I do if I have this molded part (which weighs 3.8 g) being added up with a list (BOM) of other items that are in GSM. On the horizontal calculations, I am arriving at the % of each material that makes up the whole and on the Vertical end, I am arriving at the total weight of the product in grams.

Thanks again
            GSM is not additive. You can't simply add it up.

You would have to "extend" each component of the assembly, multiplying each GSM value by the area of each subcomponent to get grams, and add all the weights in grams.

Imagine two A4 sheets (1/16 m) of 80 gsm paper. Each weighs 5 g, total 10 g. If you attach them side by side (with weightless tape) is an A3 sheet of 80 gsm paper weighing 20 g. If you stack and glue them with weighless glue, it is an A4 sheet of 160 gsm paper, weighing20 g.

Comment

gsm to Grams Per Square Meter

220cm width. 135 gsm, what is fabrics with in 63"

Comment

1 Mtr = 39.4"
                .................................................. ...............
                63"/39.4" = 1.59898 Mtr.
                0.135x1.59898 = 0.21586 GRM
                .................................................. ...............
                CM 220x0.3937" = 86.614" / 39.4" = 2.1983 Mtr.

----------------------------------------------
                Mtr 2.198x0.21586 GRM = 0.4745 GRM. Ans.

Comment

Re: gsm to Grams Per Square Meter

220cm width. 135 gsm, what is fabrics with in 63"
                  Using the legal definition of an inch:
                  (63 in x 0.0254 m/in) x 2.2 m x 135 g/m = 475 g

Comment

One grain of sand is 1 gram...how much do you need to fill a box of 1metre long. .1metre wide and 1metre tall..PLz
                    Britton.

Comment

Working...
                    X