Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gallons to inch

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How many gallons of oil will a rectangular tank hold that is 66 inches long,32 inches wide and 22 inches high?
    I need the answer as soon as possible .Please?thank you
    The physical volume is'
    66" x 32" x 22" x 1gallon/231 in³ = 201 gallons
    To allow headroom for thermal expansion, I would only fill to 95% or 191 gallons. That assumes these are inside dimensions, or exterior dimensions corrected for wall thickness.

Comment

Re: gallons per inch

Hello, my name is Becky.

my math skills are horrid and i hope you all can help. i have a fish tank and i am trying to figure out how many gallons of water it holds without filling it up one gallon at a time lol. it's a corner tank. it has 5 sides. if i could post a picture of it i would, but i will try to describe it well enough for you all to understand. the two long sides are 21 1/2 inches long, they form the corner. the front of the tank is 3 sides like part of an octagon. all three sides are 12 1/2 inches long. the height of the tank is 24 1/2 inches. i measured on the inside of the tank. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Hello, my name is Becky.

my math skills are horrid and i hope you all can help. i have a fish tank and i am trying to figure out how many gallons of water it holds without filling it up one gallon at a time lol. it's a corner tank. it has 5 sides. if i could post a picture of it i would, but i will try to describe it well enough for you all to understand. the two long sides are 21 1/2 inches long, they form the corner. the front of the tank is 3 sides like part of an octagon. all three sides are 12 1/2 inches long. the height of the tank is 24 1/2 inches. i measured on the inside of the tank. :-)
        If a figure has four or more sides, additional information (angles or diagonals) is required to completely define it. I assumed from your description that the two long sides form a right angle, and that the two small triangles are identical as shown in the attached sketch. Does this look about right?

If so, the base area of the tank can be computed from adding the areas of the triangles and rectangles as 418.26 in². Since a (US) gallon is 231 in³, the tank fills at 1.811 gallons/in. Filled to the brim, this is 44.36 gallons, but you should probably only fill about 95%, or 42 gallons.

Comment

AWESOME that is exactly what my tank looks like and i have never known how many gallons it held,...well it was supposed to hold anyway. the person that sold it to me neglected to tell me that it leaked and it nearly had a blow out. so as of right now, it only holds air, but thank you very much. some day i intend to take it apart and reseal it again. thank you very much!! <3 God Bless you JohnS

Comment

20 in pipe water capacity in meter

Comment

i have a round tank that is 23 feet high and 7 feet high what do i need to do to get the gallons

Comment

I am trying to find out how many gallens of water to fill my fish tank it was given to me so don't know the gallens it holds 40x12x33=16,000 16,000÷231=70 gallens am I right using your formula

Comment

Yes, assuming those dimensions are inside dimensions in inches, and one of them is the height of fill, which should be less than the height of tank. Also if you have sand, gravel, etc in the bottom, it will reduce the volume of water required.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

We were just having this conversation at the fire house. The formula for volume of a cylinder is Pi(R^2)h.

3.14 * (1.5^2) * 600 inches = 4241

Volume of a fifty foot section of 3-inch hose is roughly 4241 cubic inches.

4241 cubic inches converted to U.S. liquid gallons is approximately 18.36 gallons per 50-foot length of 3-inch.
                    "can someone tell me what it would be for 100 ft section of 7 1/4 inch LDH?"

Comment

Originally posted by cleblanc622 View Post

"can someone tell me what it would be for 100 ft section of 7 1/4 inch LDH?"
                      Is 7 1/4" the inside diameter? If not substitute inside diameter below

(pi/4) * 7.25^2 * 1200 = 49539 in^3 = 214US gal

Comment

Working...
                      X