No announcement yet.

convert coordinates on a property survey to a compass direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I registered just to say, thank you John. Your info was helpful to me.

Comment

I found this site looking for survey information and signed up hope someone can help.I have 55 acres and have located the two frontage pins and one on the rear east side.On the west side I located the rear pin but have not located the pin south of that one,the land is shaped like an upside down boot.The part I am trying to figure is is as follows-N04* 38' 55" E 357.36'.I know the line is 357' long but to read the N04,is that 4 degrees ?I would be looking south from the north pin so I assume I would set my compass at like 184* going south?Does that make since what I typed lol??Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bo44 View Post
        I found this site looking for survey information and signed up hope someone can help.I have 55 acres and have located the two frontage pins and one on the rear east side.On the west side I located the rear pin but have not located the pin south of that one,the land is shaped like an upside down boot.The part I am trying to figure is is as follows-N04* 38' 55" E 357.36'.I know the line is 357' long but to read the N04,is that 4 degrees ?I would be looking south from the north pin so I assume I would set my compass at like 184* going south?Does that make since what I typed lol??Thanks
        It does make sense with a few complications. You are definitely on the right track. The points below may get you a little closer.
        1. Because of the minutes and seconds the angular bearing would be closer to 5, or the reverse, 185 (There are are 60 minutes in a degree and 60 seconds in a minute, so they add up to almost 2/3 of a degree).
        2. The surveyor uses true north as a reference, not magnetic north, which a compass points to. You need to look up the magnetic deviation for where you live. (Where I live, it is about 7W, making 353 on a compass true north or 0 on a land plat.) If you don't correct your compass reading for this, it will be the biggest error and you will have trouble finding the pin.
        3. The extra 0.36' is about 4" so about 357 ft 4 inches on the corrected compass bearing from (2).

Comment

John S thanks for the reply.I have a lot of respect for survey people that is a lot of information to know I am lost with the minutes/seconds,latitudes,ect I guess its more than pulling out a measuring tape or a compass.I did look up the magnetic declination and it is -5* 33' for my location and is negative West.From the North pin I located I would head due south 180* but with that 4* I would head south at about 184*.From the north pin about how many feet would that equal to at the end of that 357"?I know I am in the general area right now by going due south and will be using a metal detector to hopefully locate this pin I am looking to find.The other locations have been easy because there were pins plus pink tape and old wood stakes in the ground but I did locate all that by walking through the woods this past early spring with my compass before the brush and trees greened up..This particular pin I am looking for right now is in the woods like the others were but this one I have not seen anything.If I end up a few feet off with my compass that's okay I can locate it (I hope) with the metal detector

Comment

I went out and set my compass on my tripod I bought recently and here at my yard I walked off 357' due south then from that point I measured over west 15' to get the 4*.I read somewhere every degree on the compass is 3'??

Comment

The t 60 ft out, one degree is about 1 ft, so at approx 360 ft, about 6 ft lateral per degree. However, that compass declination offsets your 185 degrees. You are somewhere between 179 to 180 compass.

Comment

I checked on that every degree being 3' and that's not correct.Each click/turn of the bezel ring is 3*.Sounds like I am pretty dang close to the correct reading and location of the pin I am looking for.With the metal detector I should be able to find it.Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X