No announcement yet.

1 ton of pea gravel = how many gallons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 ton of pea gravel = how many gallons?

I want to buy some pea gravel for landscaping, they sell it for $32.00 a ton, however I don't want to spend the delevery fee, so I thought I would load it slowly by a 5 gallon bucket. I just need to know how many / or much would 1 - 5 gallon bucket cost?

Please help!

Re: 1 ton of pea gravel = how many gallons?

Different sources give different densities. If I use the figure 2600 lb/yd³, then 1 ton (2000 lb) is 0.77 yd³ or 20.77 cubic feet.

At 1728 in³/ft³ and 231 in³/gallon, that would be 155.36 gallons, 31 trips with your 5 gallon pail.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS
      Different sources give different densities. If I use the figure 2600 lb/yd³, then 1 ton (2000 lb) is 0.77 yd³ or 20.77 cubic feet.

At 1728 in³/ft³ and 231 in³/gallon, that would be 155.36 gallons, 31 trips with your 5 gallon pail.
      Is there about 64 pounds per bucket? - That could start to feel quite heavy after 31 trips! Hope you're big and strong!

Comment

I want to buy some pea gravel for landscaping, they sell it for $32.00 a ton, however I don't want to spend the delevery fee, so I thought I would load it slowly by a 5 gallon bucket. I just need to know how many / or much would 1 - 5 gallon bucket cost?

Please help![/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra Greene View Post

Please help!
          [/QUOTE]

Is this not answered in #2?

Comment

If JohnS is correct, in that 31 5-gallon buckets equals a ton, and they charge $32.00 per ton, then one bucket should only be a few cents more than $1.00. Thank you for asking, since I was trying to find a very similar answer! I need to get a few 5-gallon buckets of large gravel for filling holes in the steepest country driveway known to man. Larger rock means more air per bucket, so I'm assuming that mine will be far less than 1/31 ton per bucket, which is plenty close enough for me to calculate costs. As for the comment about "hope you are strong", it's safe to assume you are, if you do landscaping, but I was calculating that, as well, because my spine surgeon would be very mad if I messed up his work. Your 5-gallon bucket of stone, if full, will weigh about as much as one and a half 5-gallon buckets full of water. So, it will weigh even more than when that bucket is carrying a shrub soaking in wet soil. I plan on getting my buckets about 2/3 or 3/4 full, just to make them easier to work with. (If my spine surgeon asks, they were half full)

Comment

Working...
            X