Converting kinetic energy to degrees Celsius

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting kinetic energy to degrees Celsius

Online conversion can convert joules to degrees Celsius for me, but I can't find any explanation, on their site or anywhere else, of how to convert it. I need to know a formula or calculation, as I'm not going to be able to go to this site every time I need to do something like this. I'm trying to figure out how much heat would be generated by a 1 ton car (or any object really), moving at 60 mph, coming to a complete stop. I've worked out it would have a kinetic energy of approx. 13624.56 joules, and onlineconversion.com tells me that this is approx. 7 degrees Celsius.

But how do I show that 13624.56 joules = 7 degrees Celsius?

Re: Converting kinetic energy to degrees Celsius

Originally posted by neon
    Online conversion can convert joules to degrees Celsius for me, but I can't find any explanation, on their site or anywhere else, of how to convert it. I need to know a formula or calculation, as I'm not going to be able to go to this site every time I need to do something like this. I'm trying to figure out how much heat would be generated by a 1 ton car (or any object really), moving at 60 mph, coming to a complete stop. I've worked out it would have a kinetic energy of approx. 13624.56 joules, and onlineconversion.com tells me that this is approx. 7 degrees Celsius.

You might need to think about context. For example, for what (item?) are you interested in measuring the increase in temperature of? Obviously you don't change the temperature of the world or the car by 7C every time you stop.

Comment

Originally posted by neon

You would have to know the mass and the specific heat of the object absorbing the energy to calculate heat rise. That heat rise would then cool by a combination of conduction, convection, and radiatio.

I don't get the same energy as you. 1 tonne = 1000 kg
      60 MPH = 88 fps = 26.8 m/s

KE = (1/2)*m*v = 360 kJ

A 1 t car is extremely compact and/or lightweight. Most are in range 2 - 3 t.

Comment

Thank you for the help. It sounds like I'm trying to do something much more complicated than I realised (forgetting to square 26.8 didn't help me either )

Comment

Working...
        X