Laptop PC Battery Capacity mAh to mWh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop PC Battery Capacity mAh to mWh

I purchased a new battery for my laptop. It is advertised at 5200mAh but using Hardware Monitor it only shows 48840mWh. There is an electric current conversion from watts to amps and it is direct but that would mean 48.84 watts = 48.84 amps? So I am assuming that is not accurate for capacity. What am I doing wrong?

What is the voltage of the battery? Multiply amperes times volts to get watts
    (for battery capacity in milliampere-hours, multiply by voltage to get milliwatt-hours)

Note that the actual capacity of a battery varies somewhat with the rate at which it is discharged. At heavy loads, it will likely be less than rated. They are common rated at ten hour discharge.

Comment

Ok it is 10.8 volts. That's 56160mWh which is significantly more than what is appearing in Hardware Monitor as the design capacity of 48840mWh. Yes realize that the actual capacity varies. Does the design capacity vary? It is the design capacity that I am concerned about.

Comment

Originally posted by SamBoja View Post
        Ok it is 10.8 volts. That's 56160mWh which is significantly more than what is appearing in Hardware Monitor as the design capacity of 48840mWh. Yes realize that the actual capacity varies. Does the design capacity vary? It is the design capacity that I am concerned about.
        Yes. Your monitor is measuring at the actual discharge rate of your laptop; it can't measure at the rated discharge load because that load is not present. Also, the voltage does decline over the discharge. At least average the initial and discharged voltage (under load).

Comment

Working...
        X