Creating conversion tables for use with blood results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating conversion tables for use with blood results

Good evening all, (or morning , or afternoon depending where in the world you are!)
    I work in wildlife rescue (I am a veterinary nurse) and I work in many countries with many animals. I have to take blood samples and then, working with vets, interpret blood results. Each lab I use seems to report in different units to the ones that I have in my reference values so I am trying to create conversion tables - I have already got a mmol/-mg/dl for blood glucose but I need to convert mEq/l into mmol/l and u/l in to iu/l for other parameters.

Can anyone help me? If I have a calculation formula, I can do the legwork!

Originally posted by lonezed View Post
    Good evening all, (or morning , or afternoon depending where in the world you are!)
    I work in wildlife rescue (I am a veterinary nurse) and I work in many countries with many animals. I have to take blood samples and then, working with vets, interpret blood results. Each lab I use seems to report in different units to the ones that I have in my reference values so I am trying to create conversion tables - I have already got a mmol/-mg/dl for blood glucose but I need to convert mEq/l into mmol/l and u/l in to iu/l for other parameters.

Can anyone help me? If I have a calculation formula, I can do the legwork!
    Moles and equivalents are related. Moles relate to the number of atoms or molecules. Equivalents are the moles of electrons passed in ionization reactions. Sodium (or anything else in the first column of periodic table) has relationship that 1 mol = 1 eqv. because the ionized state is +1 elemental charge. For calcium, with an ionized charge of +2, the relationship is 1 mol = 2 eqv. At the other end of the periodic table, chlorine is similarly 1 mol = 1 eqv because its ionized state is -1, while oxygen is -2, so 1 mol = 2 eqv. A few elements are problematic because the have multiple ionized states (iron is an example) and you actually have to look at the reaction.

IU is international units. There is some international agreement on how to define the activity level, while U (without the I) means the isn't international agreement, but some country or medical body has a standard, but it is not fully accepted by others. These ALWAYS have to be looked up, case by case.

In our "Resources" section of the forums, there is a link to conversions used by JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association. You may find it helpful as it covers many common conversions.

Comment

Thank you so much for this, I will definitely check out the resources section.

Comment

Working...
      X