Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting mg/L/day to g/m2/day

Hi,
    I've been asked to convert my C concentrations in discharge waters from a volume to area per day:
    i.e. from mg/L/day to gC/m2/day so that they are in the same units as some CO2 flux data. Can someone please help me out?
    Thanks

Originally posted by slashgim View Post
    Hi,
    I've been asked to convert my C concentrations in discharge waters from a volume to area per day:
    i.e. from mg/L/day to gC/m2/day so that they are in the same units as some CO2 flux data. Can someone please help me out?
    Thanks
    I don't see an obvious way to convert. It would be necessary to do a calculation based on the details of how you discharged and how that volume of discharge is confined to an area. As you discharge day after day, does the area the discharge occupies grow in proportion to the volume of discharge, or is it in some containment pond of fixed area but variable depth? There is also the question of what form the carbon is in and whether it is rational to assume it oxidizes to CO2.

Assuming a low number is good, you want to spread your volume of discharge over the largest possible area (very shallow depth), at least as "malicious compliance." Depending on details, that may or may not be what is good for the environment.

Comment

Working...
    X