Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert ppm to g/h

Hello,

I'm struggling in converting my measurements of gas concentration in ppm to mass flow of the gas in g/h directly, e.g. my measurement of carbon monoxide (CO) is 200 pm and I need to know its mass flow in g/h.

I think that won't be possible as concentration (ppm) is related to weight or volume and not to flow, Thus, I could convert in grams (g) but can't figure out to convert to mass flow directly.

Kind regards!
    Last edited by convertnewbie; 08-09-2019, 08:22 AM.

Originally posted by convertnewbie View Post
    Hello,

I'm struggling in converting my measurements of gas concentration in ppm to mass flow of the gas in g/h directly, e.g. my measurement of carbon monoxide (CO) is 200 pm and I need to know its mass flow in g/h.

I think that won't be possible as concentration (ppm) is related to weight or volume and not to flow, Thus, I could convert in grams (g) but can't figure out to convert to mass flow directly.

Kind regards!
    Ppm is a ratio of one component, usually a pollutant, to total flow. So you would have to know the total flow of your stream in units of mass/hour, either in or convertible to grams per hour, then multiply by 200 x 10-6. Also you need to know whether the basis of the ppm is mass, volume, or molar ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post

Ppm is a ratio of one component, usually a pollutant, to total flow. So you would have to know the total flow of your stream in units of mass/hour, either in or convertible to grams per hour, then multiply by 200 x 10-6. Also you need to know whether the basis of the ppm is mass, volume, or molar ratios.
      Thanks for the answer JohnS, sorry for my late reply.

As I have imagined, I indeed have to measure the mass flow. I am not sure if the ppm value is either in mass, volume or molar ratios, but I suppose is volume. I only am aware of the equipment that I have to make the measurements, which is a FTIR Multigas 2030 (manufacture website & manuals: https://www.mksinst.com/f/multigas-2...s-gas-analyzer).

I have to consider incorporate a flow meter now for the gaseous. Just need to figure how to buy it. Otherwise, measuring the flow from the exhaust line, where there are all gaseous mixed won't solve my problem, as I need to know each gas flow individually. I know I could resolve this issue with a simple OnoSokki digital flowmeter, e.g. its model DF-2420 would provide me this information), but what I need now it an easy way to buy it.

Comment

Working...
      X