mol percent to grams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mol percent to grams

How can I convert a 10mol percent of DPTAP (mw = 646.4 g/mol) to grams? The other component is DPPC (mw = 734.039 g/mol), and is 90mol percent. I tried to calculate it myself where I did this calculation, but Im not sure if its correct or not;

(10mol percent x 646.47 g/mol) / 72528.21 g/ mol = 0.0891.

0.0891 x 100 = 8.91g

That means that I need to use 8.91g DPTAP and 91.09g of DPPC; or 0.891g of DPTAP and 9.109g of DPPC.

Is this in any way right or have I misunderstood something?

Originally posted by hadilabdul View Post
    How can I convert a 10mol percent of DPTAP (mw = 646.4 g/mol) to grams? The other component is DPPC (mw = 734.039 g/mol), and is 90mol percent. I tried to calculate it myself where I did this calculation, but Im not sure if its correct or not;

(10mol percent x 646.47 g/mol) / 72528.21 g/ mol = 0.0891.

0.0891 x 100 = 8.91g

That means that I need to use 8.91g DPTAP and 91.09g of DPPC; or 0.891g of DPTAP and 9.109g of DPPC.

Is this in any way right or have I misunderstood something?
    Lets assume you wish to mix up 1 mole of mixture, 0.1 mol DPTAP and 0.9 mol DPPC

Then you need 64.64 g DPTAP and 660.635 g DPPC, total 725.275 g.

Note the percentage on a mass/mass basis is 8.91%. You may mix up any total amount in these proportions.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post

Lets assume you wish to mix up 1 mole of mixture, 0.1 mol DPTAP and 0.9 mol DPPC

Then you need 64.64 g DPTAP and 660.635 g DPPC, total 725.275 g.

Note the percentage on a mass/mass basis is 8.91%. You may mix up any total amount in these proportions.
      Okay! But how much, in grams, should I use of each component when my solution NEEDS to be 10molpercent of DPTAP? I have come to a point where I cant figure it out anymore, because of overthinking.

Comment

Okay! But how much, in grams, should I use of each component when my solution NEEDS to be 10molpercent of DPTAP? I have come to a point where I cant figure it out anymore, because of overthinking.
        It depends on how much solution you wish to make up. You need to decide the total number of moles or grams of solution you want. In moles, use 0.1 mol DPTAP, 0.9 mol DPPC. In grams. 8.91% of the total mass should be DPTAP. I worked oput the gram proportions of 0.1 mol fraction solution for you, but I don't know how much you want to make up.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post

It depends on how much solution you wish to make up. You need to decide the total number of moles or grams of solution you want. In moles, use 0.1 mol DPTAP, 0.9 mol DPPC. In grams. 8.91% of the total mass should be DPTAP. I worked oput the gram proportions of 0.1 mol fraction solution for you, but I don't know how much you want to make up.
          We will start with an 10g solution at first, since we are only trying the method before we start on the actual experiment. Does that mean that 0.892 grams should be DPTAP and the rest DPPC? Im really sorry if im asking really stupid questions right now, but i have never understood mol calculations that much.

Comment

We will start with an 10g solution at first, since we are only trying the method before we start on the actual experiment. Does that mean that 0.892 grams should be DPTAP and the rest DPPC? Im really sorry if im asking really stupid questions right now, but i have never understood mol calculations that much.
            That is correct.

Comment

Working...
            X