litres vs kilos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• litres vs kilos

Hi, I work in a garden centre and our bags of compost/potting mix are 15, 30. 40 or 50 LITRES. i Always thought 1 LIRE = 1 KILO. What is the actual difference - ie: how much volume/weight am I lifting per bag at the about litre measures above? I weifgh about 65 kilos and are heaving these bigger bags on my own. Thanks

1 Liter of water weighs about 1 kilogram

According to https://www.mulchstoremn.com/faq.html compost weighs about 0.6 to 0.9 kilograms per liter. A bit less than water.

Comment

Just to add that the moisture content of any sand or soil mixture can greatly increase the density, so expect wide variation with moisture content.

Comment

Originally posted by JacquiNZ View Post
        Hi, I work in a garden centre and our bags of compost/potting mix are 15, 30. 40 or 50 LITRES. i Always thought 1 LIRE = 1 KILO. What is the actual difference - ie: how much volume/weight am I lifting per bag at the about litre measures above? I weifgh about 65 kilos and are heaving these bigger bags on my own. Thanks
        Liters and kilograms are both important units of measure in the metric system and represent fundamental quantities in the SI (International System) units scheme. A liter is a unit of volume, or space. A kilogram is a unit of mass, representing a given quantity of matter.

The liter (L) is formally and historically linked to the kilogram (L). In 1901, the General Conference on Weights and Measures defined 1 liter (or litre, as it is sometimes spelled outside of the United States) as the volume of exactly 1 kilogram of water at room temperature.

The conversion from Liters to Kilograms would therefore be very simple if all substances were identical to water. Instead, liquids vary in their density, or the amount of mass per unit volume.
        Last edited by Robert Fogt; 10-09-2019, 04:10 PM. Reason: Removed link

Comment

Working...
        X