Convert Selenium 3.65 umol/L to ng/ml

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Selenium 3.65 umol/L to ng/ml

Hi there, I really struggle with these conversions and can't work out what to multiply / divide etc. I know that the molar mass of Se is 78.96. But how do I convert 3.65 umol/L to ng /ml? Would you mind letting me know the calculation like you were explaining it to a 10 year old? Thanks!

Originally posted by JP Naturopath View Post
    Hi there, I really struggle with these conversions and can't work out what to multiply / divide etc. I know that the molar mass of Se is 78.96. But how do I convert 3.65 umol/L to ng /ml? Would you mind letting me know the calculation like you were explaining it to a 10 year old? Thanks!
    For step 1, lets keep the denominator at 1 L. Multiply molar concentration by molar mass:
    3.65 mol/L x 78.96 g/mol = 288.2 g/L

For step 2, fix the units as required. 1000 mL = 1 L and 1000 ng = 1 g. They cancel out but showing formally

288.2 g/L x 1 L/1000 mL x 1000 ng/1 g = 288.2 ng/mL

I can't do it here, but the unit cancellation will be clearer if you write all fraction as over/under a horizontal bar rather than with a slash. As you get familiar with metric prefixes, you will do step 2 in your head, but the formal method is always a good fallback. The key is ALWAYS keep units attached and let the principle of unit cancellation do 90% of the work for you.

Comment

Thanks for explaining it all in detail thanks JohnS. It's very helpful!

Comment

Working...
      X