Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the magic formula to work out how much .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the magic formula to work out how much .....

Can someone tell me either the formula or the answer to this little query that is stumping me!
    I want to transport 8 lengths of Altay timber that are cut to 7 X 3 inches (175 mm X .75 mm) X 2.8 metres.
    I need to work out the weight of it all.
    Thanks for reading this

Originally posted by rainstoppedplay View Post
    Can someone tell me either the formula or the answer to this little query that is stumping me!
    I want to transport 8 lengths of Altay timber that are cut to 7 X 3 inches (175 mm X .75 mm) X 2.8 metres.
    I need to work out the weight of it all.
    Thanks for reading this
    You need the density of your wood.

First you need to calculate the volume, and your inch conversions are off. 7" is nearer 178 mm, and 3" is nearer 76 mm (way off at .75 mm)
    0.177 m x 0.76 m x 2.8 m x 8 pieces = 0.297 m (1" = 25.4 mm, exactly)

I am unfamiliar with your type of wood, but density can vary from around 200 kg/m for bamboo to over 1000 kg/m of very dense woods that sink in water.
    If we just make up a number, 700 kg/m (about right for several common woods), multiplying by 0.297 m gives 208 kg. But you need the density of your wood.

Comment

Many Thanks John S for working this out for me. I managed to get several different answers before coming onto site.
      I am struggling to find a definitive answer to the density of Altay timber. I have found that its a Siberian Cedar which seems
      to fall into a medium weight category.
      Your answer has helped me hugely.

Comment

Working...
      X