No announcement yet.

How to dilute 50mg into .5mg in liquid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to dilute 50mg into .5mg in liquid?

How do I dilute a 50mg pill into .5mg dosages in distilled water? 20 drops equals 1ml with the dropper i bought on amazon. How do I do the math?

Originally posted by unethicaljumper View Post
    How do I dilute a 50mg pill into .5mg dosages in distilled water? 20 drops equals 1ml with the dropper i bought on amazon. Is the solution stable enough to keep and use for 100 doses. How do I do the math?
    Is the pill soluble in water? How much water does it take to make sure the pill is fully soluble? How reliable is the drop size of your dropper? How stable is the solution; is it safe to keep and use for 100 doses? Many unanswered questions.

The math is the easy part. However much water you dissolve your 50 mg pill in (assuming it is water soluble), your 0.5 mg dose is 1/100 that volume of water. If you go with one drop from your dropper, you need to use at least 5 mL of water. However, if your dropper has a 1 mL mark on it, you might be better off mixing to 100 mL total volume and using a 1 mL dose.

Comment

The pill is very soluble in water and will dissolve fully after a while. The solution should be stable for a few months if kept in the fridge in a dark glass bottle. With the dropper I used a 1ml syringe I got at walgreens and measured a few times how many drops there are in 1ml.

Would you be able to explain the math a bit more please? I would like to play around with different measurements also and come out with an exact dose.

Originally posted by JohnS View Post

Is the pill soluble in water? How much water does it take to make sure the pill is fully soluble? How reliable is the drop size of your dropper? How stable is the solution; is it safe to keep and use for 100 doses? Many unanswered questions.

The math is the easy part. However much water you dissolve your 50 mg pill in (assuming it is water soluble), your 0.5 mg dose is 1/100 that volume of water. If you go with one drop from your dropper, you need to use at least 5 mL of water. However, if your dropper has a 1 mL mark on it, you might be better off mixing to 100 mL total volume and using a 1 mL dose.

Comment

The pill is very soluble in water and will dissolve fully after a while. The solution should be stable for a few months if kept in the fridge in a dark glass bottle. With the dropper I used a 1ml syringe I got at walgreens and measured a few times how many drops there are in 1ml.

Would you be able to explain the math a bit more please? I would like to play around with different measurements also and come out with an exact dose.

The 50 mg is dissolved in whatever amount of water you choose. You only want a 0.5 mg dose which is 1/100 of the pill. Therefore you want 1/100 of whatever amount of water you dissolve it in.

You have no way of measuring smaller than 1 drop, 0.05 mL, so you need to dissolve in at least 5 mL of water. However, drop sizes are not perfectly uniform. If you dissolved it in 100 mL of water, a 0.5 mg dose would be 1 mL and you can find droppers that hold more than 1 mL and have a mark at 1 mL.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post

The 50 mg is dissolved in whatever amount of water you choose. You only want a 0.5 mg dose which is 1/100 of the pill. Therefore you want 1/100 of whatever amount of water you dissolve it in.

You have no way of measuring smaller than 1 drop, 0.05 mL, so you need to dissolve in at least 5 mL of water. However, drop sizes are not perfectly uniform. If you dissolved it in 100 mL of water, a 0.5 mg dose would be 1 mL and you can find droppers that hold more than 1 mL and have a mark at 1 mL.
          What would be considered the volume in what im trying to dilute? These calculators just make it more confusing in what im trying to figure out.

http://www.endmemo.com/bio/dilution.php

https://www.physiologyweb.com/calcul...er_volume.html

https://www.tocris.com/resources/dilution-calculator

Comment

What would be considered the volume in what im trying to dilute? These calculators just make it more confusing in what im trying to figure out.

http://www.endmemo.com/bio/dilution.php

https://www.physiologyweb.com/calcul...er_volume.html

https://www.tocris.com/resources/dilution-calculator
            The volume really doesn't matter, but whatever the volume you pick, the dose of solution to get 0.5 mg is 1/100 of that same volume. To me the choice is bounded by
            1) 1/100 of the volume is large enough to measure accurately
            2) 1/100 of the volume is not so large as to be inconvenient to swallow.

No matter how much liquid you dissolve the pill in, there is 50 mg of the med in the total volume, and 0.5 mg is 1/100 of that volume. If you use 5 mL, 1/100 is 0.05 mL or 1 drop. If you use 500 mL, 0.5 mg is 5 mL, about a teaspoon.

Comment

Is this right? Dont want to make an error here.

1 drop = .05ML
              25MG / .5MGdose = 50doses
              25MG / 50doses = .5MGdose
              50 doses X 1MLsolution = 50ML = .5MGdose / 20drops =.025MG/drop
              50 doses X .5MLsoultion = 25ML = .5MGdose / 10drops = .05MG/drop
              50 doses X.05MLsolution = 2.5ML = .5MGdose / 1drop = .5MG/drop
              50 doses X.25MLsolution =12.5ML = .5MGdose / 5drops = .1MG/drop

Comment

Your calculations of amount per drop are correct. My point is that drops are imprecise, they depend on the density and viscosity of the solution as well as your technique. Droppers are calibrated with water, and drop size may vary with what is being dispensed and the technique of the person using the dropper. You can also buy droppers with a calibrated line, for example 1 mL,. You fill to line and then use the dropper-full, not a single drop. I think you would be better off using such a device.

Comment

Working...
                X