Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30um compared to 0.3ug of Mercury

Hello,
    I am reading two articles with experiments using Mercury. They labeled the amounts in different units of measurement and I am trying to figure out which is more, and by how much. Would anyone be able to help me with this? I tried converting both amounts to ppb, but I dont think that is what I needed to do. The molecular weight of Mercury is 200.59. I'm not sure if any other info is needed to make this conversion. Thank you!

Originally posted by HannahA View Post
    Hello,
    I am reading two articles with experiments using Mercury. They labeled the amounts in different units of measurement and I am trying to figure out which is more, and by how much. Would anyone be able to help me with this? I tried converting both amounts to ppb, but I dont think that is what I needed to do. The molecular weight of Mercury is 200.59. I'm not sure if any other info is needed to make this conversion. Thank you!
    We probably need some context, but I'll take a guess.

30 m of Hg is a height or length. The only context I can think of is measuring pressure or vacuum as the height of a mercury column (for exaple atmospheric pressure is about 760 mm Hg). 30 m Hg would be a quite a high vacuum, very low pressure. The height of mercury column supported by the residual pressure would be independent of the area of the measuring tube, no way to determine a total amount of mercury.

0.3 g is a measured amount, probably in something else.

But since you provided no context, its a blind guess.

Comment

Thank you, John. I wasn't sure it it was comparable or not. I appreciate your response!

Comment

Working...
      X