Calc. Free testosterone help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calc. Free testosterone help!!

I have a free testoterone calculation of 150 pmol/m. However, most guidance and measurements are in ng/dl. For example less than 300 ng/dl is low and hypogonadism. Alternatively, a measurement of 500 ng/dl and above is considered normal. Can someone help me convert this number. I've looked online with no help so far. Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by Shannon1234 View Post
    I have a free testoterone calculation of 150 pmol/m. However, most guidance and measurements are in ng/dl. For example less than 300 ng/dl is low and hypogonadism. Alternatively, a measurement of 500 ng/dl and above is considered normal. Can someone help me convert this number. I've looked online with no help so far. Thank you in advance.
    In our "Resources" forum we have a link to a medical units converter issued by the AMA. However, I believe you may have a couple of errors in your units. picomoles per meter doesn't make sense, could it pmol/mL (picomoles per milliliter)? Secondly the number seems too high (about 10X); could the decimal be misplaced?

Per the AMA page, normal US range is 300 - 1200 ng/dL, corresponding to 10.4 - 41.6 nmol/L
    Note that nmol/L and pmol/mL are equivalent.

15 nmol/L would correspond to 433 ng/dL

Comment

I made a mistake, it should be
      • CALC. FREE TESTOSTERONE 150 pmol/L
      the reference range is 180 to 739, so I'm very low. I've copied and pasted exactly what I was sent above. Can you please help me understand the ng/dl conversion. The AMA converter was not helpful fo rme, as pmol/L is not presented on the chart. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon1234 View Post
        I made a mistake, it should be
        • CALC. FREE TESTOSTERONE 150 pmol/L
        the reference range is 180 to 739, so I'm very low. I've copied and pasted exactly what I was sent above. Can you please help me understand the ng/dl conversion. The AMA converter was not helpful fo rme, as pmol/L is not presented on the chart. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
        There is apparently total testosterone and free testosterone and the AMA normal appears to be for "total." This page might help:
        https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyc...tosterone_free

Quoting a key sentence:
        Results of this test are given in picograms per milliliter (pg/mL). Your level of free testosterone is normal if it is 0.3 to 2 pg/mL, or 0.1 to 0.3 percent of your total testosterone levels.
        Because there are 1000 mL in 1 L, 0.3 pg/mL = 300 pg/L

Please note that we are only knowledgeable about conversions; you need to discuss the significance of medical results with your doctor. Be sure you know which test was done and which normal range is applicable.

The key to converting between grams and moles is the molar mass which is unique to a substance. For testosterone, it is 288.42 g/mol. Everything else is multiplying by powers of ten while adjusting prefixes, based on the numerical definitions of prefixes (always the same).

150 pmol/L x 288.42 g/mol = 43.3 ng/L or 4.33 ng/dL

Comment

Thank you for this information, though 4.33 seems like a very low free Testoterone score, I'm an infant if this number is correct. I actually got the same number earlier myself, but thought I'd done something wrong. Is there any chance it could be a score of 433, not 4.33?

Comment

Working...
          X