Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a DMSO solution quantities

Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a solution described in a published study but I am not sure on how to interpret it correctly:

"We have been using a low-dose formulation of 1% Povidone-Iodine (w/w) in a solution containing dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO)...
    "1% povidone–iodine solution in a liquid vehicle system that included 44% USP-grade DMSO"

Now I can easily find pure liquid DMSO but only a 100mL of 10% w/v Povidone-Iodine (PVP-I).

Based on my (limited..) understanding, I assume I could obtain a 44% DMSO solution by adding 78,57 mL of DMSO to the 100mL of 10% PVI (78,57/(100+78,57)).
    On the other hand the PVP-I concentration in this new solution would drop to 5,6% (10mg/178,57).

Is that correct?
    Is there a way I can obtain both 44% DMSO and 1% PVP-I ?

Thanks,

Giuseppe

Originally posted by Giuseppe View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a solution described in a published study but I am not sure on how to interpret it correctly:

"We have been using a low-dose formulation of 1% Povidone-Iodine (w/w) in a solution containing dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO)...
    "1% povidone–iodine solution in a liquid vehicle system that included 44% USP-grade DMSO"

Now I can easily find pure liquid DMSO but only a 100mL of 10% w/v Povidone-Iodine (PVP-I).

Based on my (limited..) understanding, I assume I could obtain a 44% DMSO solution by adding 78,57 mL of DMSO to the 100mL of 10% PVI (78,57/(100+78,57)).
    On the other hand the PVP-I concentration in this new solution would drop to 5,6% (10mg/178,57).

Is that correct?
    Is there a way I can obtain both 44% DMSO and 1% PVP-I ?

Thanks,

Giuseppe
    Your PI concentration is w/w so you need to work (mostly) with masses not volumes. The fact that you have pure DMSO simplifies things a bit. I am assuming the the desired DSMO concentration is also w/w.

Lets suppose you wish to make up 100 g of mixture. You need 1 g PI, 44 g DMSO, and 55 g total of water(assuming your other solvent is water?). Note, some water in the PI solution.

To get 1 g of PI you need 10 mL of 10% (w/v) PI. Record that weight, add 44 g of DMSO, and then dilute with water to 100 g total
    Last edited by JohnS; 12-07-2020, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post

Your PI concentration is w/w so you need to work (mostly) with masses not volumes. The fact that you have pure DMSO simplifies things a bit. I am assuming the the desired DSMO concentration is also w/w.

Lets suppose you wish to make up 100 g of mixture. You need 1 g PI, 44 g DMSO, and 55 g total of water(assuming your other solvent is water?). Note, some water in the PI solution.

To get 1 g of PI you need 10 mL of 1% (w/v) PI. Record that weight, add 44 g of DMSO, and then dilute with water to 100 g total
      Thank you JohnS, that's very helpful!

Comment

Working...
      X