Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Bedding Formula

Hello -

Could someone help out in calculating the amount of #57 Stone needed for a trench with 200FT of 48" RCP Pipe with the trench needing 3FT on each side of the pipe and the bedding at only 33 Inches with 9 Inches of bedding under the pipe? I am trying to create an excel formula for this as well.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by jlaw1007 View Post
    Hello -

Could someone help out in calculating the amount of #57 Stone needed for a trench with 200FT of 48" RCP Pipe with the trench needing 3FT on each side of the pipe and the bedding at only 33 Inches with 9 Inches of bedding under the pipe? I am trying to create an excel formula for this as well.

Thanks for your help.
    If you look at a cross section, it is a hole with a width and depth, except there is a big 48" circle in the middle of it (the pipe). Is 48" the OD or ID of the pipe? You need the OD. I think the width is 3' + 4' +3' = 10', and the depth is 2.75' + 4' + 0.75' = 7.5'. The pipe has a cross section of (π/4)*4² (in feet) = 12.56 ft².

Cross section is 10' x 7.5' - 12.56 ft² = 62.44 ft². Volume to be filled is 200' x that area or 12 488 ft³

Stone is usually sold by the cubic yard (divide by 27 ft³/yd³) so 463 yd³

It is normally delivered loose and settles with tamping, so I would add 10%, and round anything up. Call it 510 yd³. You will likely have a little left over, but that is better than being short.

Comment

Working...
    X