trying to establish boundaries and compass points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to establish boundaries and compass points

Hello. I am trying to establish the boundaries and compass points of a property that I own in Rochester, VT. There is not a survey for the property but there is for my abutter. So, I am trying to figure out compass points for N59* 10' 42*W 96.57 joined at N59* 00' 00* W 118.12 I don't understand how to do this and would appreciate any help. Thank you, Agi

Surveyors use quadrantal angles 0 to 90 degrees east or west of north or south. Converting quadrantals to 0- 360 bearings like a compass must be done depending on the two letters.
    N E: Use as is
    S E: Subtract from 180
    S W: Add to 180
    N W: Subtract from 360
    On the subtractions, remember to do the base-60 math for the minutes and seconds (yes, it is a PITA).

Comment

Originally posted by Agi Klausz View Post
      Hello. I am trying to establish the boundaries and compass points of a property that I own in Rochester, VT. There is not a survey for the property but there is for my abutter. So, I am trying to figure out compass points for N59* 10' 42*W 96.57 joined at N59* 00' 00* W 118.12 I don't understand how to do this and would appreciate any help. Thank you, Agi
      There should be an existing survey and it should be part of the deed. For a subdivision, it may be the whole subdivision and your lot simply referred to as a lot number. Any copy in your deed may be so "reduced" as to be unreadable. Each corner of your lot should be marked by a survey "monument." In a subdivision, these are often rebar stakes with or without a marker cap and they often get buried in grading operations (but can be found with a metal detector). You have to find at least one of the markers for your lot, then the line lengths and bearings are a "recipe" for moving from one marker to another. For any "serious" decisions you may need to hire surveyor to remark the corners (building a fence or building near the lot lines). However, you may want to locate the existing survey and try to find them on your own (how much grass to cut or planting a garden).

First, let me say that every line points two ways, so a line from one pin to another marked N5910'42"W may need to be walked in reverse, N5910'42"W. As gubment_cheez points out, surveyors use quadrantal angles, and they use true bearings, not magnetic (compass) bearings, so you will have trouble precisely reconstructing with a compass vs surveyor's tools.

N59* 10' 42*W 96.57 means that from one pine to the next, the lot line is 96.57 feet long, on a bearing of 59 degrees 42 minutes 10 seconds West of North, then a very slight bearing change to another pin 118.12 feet away. This is a bearing of 300 49' 18" true, but I don't know your local magnetic compass deviation which has to be added or subtracted. (Angle is roughly 30 northward of due west 270).

If you don't know where at least on pin is, you don't know where to start towards the others as it is a progression around the lot. It doesn't hurt to try, but unless you find the markers, you really need a surveyor before any critical construction.

Comment

Working...
      X