ppmv to v/v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ppmv to v/v

im trying to create incubation setting and the scientific literature mentioned on using 20-30 ppmv methane initially, and then 1.3% v/v

how can we standardised the unit used for 20-30 ppmv and 1.3% v/v ?

are these convert-able into the same SI unit? if yes, how?

additional info: 240 ml bottle, 6 g of soil
    Last edited by chickendonut; 04-20-2022, 12:59 AM.

Percent is basically parts per hundred, so multiply by 10 000 for parts per million (ppm). 1.3% is 13 000 ppm.

That seems pretty radically different from 20-30 ppm. Is this a concentration of methane in air? Keep in mind that methane in air is basically a natural gas leak. The 1.3% is approaching the combustible range (5-15%) please be careful.

Comment

the 1.3 % and 20-30 ppmv are two different times of methane supplied into the chamber.

but 13 000 ppm and 20-30 ppmv are definitely two different unit, right? in this case, i need to convert either one into another?

Comment

No, both were stated on volume/volume basis in your original query. It is just scaled to the same unit.

Comment

sorry, i dont quite get it. based on my original query,

it was 20-30 ppmv and 1.3% v/v.

if 1.3% v/v = 13 000 ppm

shouldn't he 20-30 ppmv be converted into ppm as well?

again, i apologise for being confused

Comment

Originally posted by chickendonut View Post
            sorry, i dont quite get it. based on my original query,

it was 20-30 ppmv and 1.3% v/v.

if 1.3% v/v = 13 000 ppm

shouldn't he 20-30 ppmv be converted into ppm as well?

again, i apologise for being confused
            Ppm means parts per million, percent means parts per hundred, they differ by a factor of 10000. Both are ratios, but ratios of what? It can be based on volumes, or weights, or molar ratios, or even a slight misuse weight/volume. The basis shoulld be noed but is often omitted and assumed. Ppm (v/v) and ppmv both mean parts per million by volume, you said your percent was by volume

Comment

Working...
            X