convert μmol CO2 m-2 s-1 to mg CO2-C m-2 hr-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert μmol CO2 m-2 s-1 to mg CO2-C m-2 hr-1

i would like to convert these units in order to further analyse and compare the response of soils in tropical and temperate forests to climate change and i am struggling to convert this myself hopefully i can find some help here, many thanks

Originally posted by brohdiecunningham1888 View Post
    i would like to convert these units in order to further analyse and compare the response of soils in tropical and temperate forests to climate change and i am struggling to convert this myself hopefully i can find some help here, many thanks
    A mole of CO2 is 44 g (or 44 µg/µmol) and an hour is 3600 s/h. Multiply by both factors and cancel units. You wind up with your desired units.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post

A mole of CO2 is 44 g (or 44 µg/µmol) and an hour is 3600 s/h. Multiply by both factors and cancel units. You wind up with your desired units.
      does the other C in the CO2-C not impact anything no ? that's what threw me a little bit

Comment

I missed that but I have no clue what the notation CO2-C means. It might mean only the carbon content of the CO2. If that is the case, replace 44 g/mol with 12 g/mol. Molar mass of CO2 is 12 g/mol from the carbon, 16 g/mol from each of the oxygen, total 44 g/mol. But I am not sure of what the notation means, best guess only. You may have to read the article to see if they define this notation (they should, as it is not self-evident in my view).

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
          I missed that but I have no clue what the notation CO2-C means. It might mean only the carbon content of the CO2. If that is the case, replace 44 g/mol with 12 g/mol. Molar mass of CO2 is 12 g/mol from the carbon, 16 g/mol from each of the oxygen, total 44 g/mol. But I am not sure of what the notation means, best guess only. You may have to read the article to see if they define this notation (they should, as it is not self-evident in my view).
          yes i believe that is right its the concentration of Carbon so it is 12g/mol -- if i were to convert 2.35umolCO2m-2s-1 to mgCO2-Cm-2hr-1 then i would convert it to mole which is 2.35x10^-6 then multiply this by 12 to get 2.82X10^-5 then multiply this by 1000 to get it into mg which is 0.0282 then to convert from seconds to hours id multiply by 3600 leaving me with 101.52mgCO2-Cm-2hr-1 apologies if this is a bit of a rogue example it's just the first value on my spreadsheet

Comment

Working...
          X