scale conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scale conversions

If I have a A3 drawing that tells me the scale is 1:[email protected] A1 what is the scale at A3

Is there a conversion chart to assist?

Re: scale conversions

I found a cool chart part way down the page here:
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

From A1 to A3 is 50% reduction.

Comment

i need to convert a scale from A1 1:100 to A3 what would the scale be at A3

Comment

I am trying to do the same. Convert A1 1:100 to A3. Can I take it that the scale on the A3 IS 1:50?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          I am trying to do the same. Convert A1 1:100 to A3. Can I take it that the scale on the A3 IS 1:50?

Thanks
          A1 is bigger than A3, so my immediate reaction is that it would go the other way: A3 is 1:200. Try working out the size of something that makes sense, and convert it on both scales. It will become crystal clear which one is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs X
            A1 is bigger than A3, so my immediate reaction is that it would go the other way: A3 is 1:200. Try working out the size of something that makes sense, and convert it on both scales. It will become crystal clear which one is correct.
            Agree that it will be 1:200 on the smaller A3 paper.
            In any case a scale (line with scale lengths marked off)should always be included on the drawing as reproduction is never exactly perfect, paper stretches with humidity, etc. Any critical dimensions should be transferred to the scale line with dividers.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

A1 is twice the size of A3: so converting 1:[email protected] would be 1:[email protected] and that means a 50% reduction in the size of the original. A1 is bigger than A3

Comment

Hi Guys,

I had a fair bit of trouble when first learning scale conversions for paper sizes.

A little rule i was told is always double the scale for A3 paper sizes when using an A1 scale.

Eg. 1:100 (A1) = 1:200 (A3) , 1:500 (A1) = 1:1000 (A3)

Same rule only reversed when scaling from A3 to A1, so you will halve the scale.

Eg. 1:100 (A3) = 1:50 (A1) , 1:500 (A3) = 1:250 (A1)

Hope that helps. Also there is a website that explains everything in detail. Pretty handy for learning how to convert A0 to A1.

just go to wiki and search paper sizes. sorry it doesnt allow guests to post links.

Tony.

Comment

Its easy: lets say you have a 1:500 drawing at A3, and you want to know what the scale is when you blow it up to A1.

This is an enlargement percentage of 200%. (Go to ww.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper. ) - just add a 'w' at the beginning and html at the end - unregistereds cant post links...

So; enlargement percentage 200%. Take your original scale (in this case it was 1:500, so we use 500). Divide this by 100, and then multiply by the enlargement percentage: 200.

So it is (500/100) x 200 = 1000.

Therefore the new scale is 1:1000

This works for any conversion of any scale of any (ISO) paper size. Sweet eh?

Comment

ok so just to confirm, 1:200 at A1 would be 1:400 at A3 right?

which would be annoying as its near impssible to get a 1:400 scale rule.

Comment

If anyone is interesting i derived this little formula:

If you are increasing your paper size then the scale factor is 2^(0.5 * x)

Where x is the difference in papers. i.e. A3 to A1 is 2^(0.5*(3-1)) = 2

So your drawings gets 2 times bigger, or 200% zoom.

To find your new scale you simply multiply it by (1 / scale factor)
                        So if you had a scale of 1:100 on A3 then on A1 it is 100 * (1 / 2) = 50. i.e. 1:50

If you are decreasing paper size then the scale factor is sqrt( 1/(2^x) ) .

Comment

I have at the moment a drawing on scale this 1:100 @ A1 however my drawing is on A3 what scale should i use?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            I have at the moment a drawing on scale this 1:100 @ A1 however my drawing is on A3 what scale should i use?
                            1:200, the paper is half as big.

Comment

Please help,

I need to print drawings that have been scaled 1/100 @ A1 but am printing off at A4 how do I convert??????

Comment

Working...
                              X