Convert Conductivity Readings to Salinity Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Conductivity Readings to Salinity Values

Is there a table or conversion factor for converting low level conductivity values to salinity values? I found a calculator that will convert conductivity readings to salinity values between 2 to 42 ppt. I need to find a calculator that will convert conductivity readings to salinity values between 0 to 2 ppt. Thank you!

Re: Convert Conductivity Readings to Salinity Values

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is there a table or conversion factor for converting low level conductivity values to salinity values? I found a calculator that will convert conductivity readings to salinity values between 2 to 42 ppt. I need to find a calculator that will convert conductivity readings to salinity values between 0 to 2 ppt. Thank you!
    1ppt (parts per trillion) is like half a teaspoon of salt in 5 swimming pools of water. Is this the kind of concentration you are trying to measure? Sometimes ppt is also used to mean "parts per thousand", but then your conductivity wouldn't be particularly low.

Comment

A rough rule of thumb:

EC unit in 1 mmho/cm = about 10 milli-equivalents/L

EC unit in 1 dS/m = about 10 mmol+/L

Comment

This paper reports a correction factor to be used for PSS values in the range 0-2 and references the original publication.
        http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...IxEYzgp9Kgy8ZA

However, I don't know anything about it or how well it is accepted. Use at your own risk.

I would note the whole PSS scale assumes a mixture of ions equivalent to sea salt, either diluted with distilled water or concentrated by evaporation. The original notes on it point out that results may be misleading if the ion ratios are not those of sea salt.

Comment

Thank you for your response. In this case, ppt = parts per thousand, and is based on the practical salinity scale (PSS).

Comment

i take this is the simple formula for conversions from conductivity to salinity for multiple depths for example, a bore hole?

Comment

Working...
            X