This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Weight/Volume Conversions: USDA

We get a lot of weight/volume questions on food items, recipes, etc here. I'd like to suggest the USDA Database as a resource:
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

The link takes you to the search page. The search engine is fairly clunky. Don't be too specific or you may get nothing; minor spelling variations, spaces affect it. Just as an example, it finds cornstarch but not corn starch; however, if you just enter corn, cornstarch appears in a LONG list of corn products.

Once you find what you want, submit it. It will offer you nutritional analysis for several amounts, always 100 g, and usually optional amounts including Customary volumetric measure, cups, tablespoons, etc. It will show you their weight in grams, which is the conversion. It will also give complete nutritional information. The source is information supplied by US food manufacturers, processors. It won't find odd ingredients not reasonably common in the US.

Re: Food Weight/Volume Conversions: USDA

This one is a bit more friendly than the government version: foodinfo.us/Densities.aspx
    You can search by entering any part of the food item, etc. Same source of info though.

Comment

Thanks, James
      That is more user friendly. The densities are returned on one page for each item the search engine returns. The link should be preceeded by www
      www.foodinfo.us/Densities.aspx

Comment

Thanks John!

Comment

Well sir, if you’re still out there, your post motivated me to change the search method on the fooditems.us site, so that now if you enter either ‘corn starch’ or ‘cornstarch’, it works. For some reason the usda nutrient database seems to list things backwards, e.g., ‘Beans, snap, green’ instead of just ‘green beans’, etc.

So now a search for, say, 'maple syrup' will match on the usda listings of ' Syrups, maple', and 'Syrups, table blends, pancake, with 2% maple', etc.

Comment

nutrition.gov is another good website

Comment

The data on nutrition.gov simply forwards to the link in the first post.

Comment

I have updated the Weight to Volume Cooking conversion page to use the data from the USDA. It should be much more accurate now.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weig...me_cooking.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Fogt View Post
                  I have updated the Weight to Volume Cooking conversion page to use the data from the USDA. It should be much more accurate now.
                  Thank you so much for that link Robert!
                  As a budding amateur chef from the UK I love experimenting with a variety of international recipes from all around the world, and, although I love varying what I am making to my own preferences, I think it's quite hard to give a valid opinion on a recipe if you've had to 'guestimate' the equivilent measurements!

Big thanks from the UK!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
                    Thanks, James
                    That is more user friendly. The densities are returned on one page for each item the search engine returns. The link should be preceeded by www
                    Is it just me or the page isn't loading?

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                      Is it just me or the page isn't loading?
                      Don't know. The pages linked in posts #1, 3, and 8 all load for me.

Comment

Originally posted by James Irvine View Post
                        Well sir, if you’re still out there, your post motivated me to change the search method on the fooditems.us site, so that now if you enter either ‘corn starch’ or ‘cornstarch’, it works. For some reason the usda nutrient database seems to list things backwards, e.g., ‘Beans, snap, green’ instead of just ‘green beans’, etc.

So now a search for, say, 'maple syrup' will match on the usda listings of ' Syrups, maple', and 'Syrups, table blends, pancake, with 2% maple', etc.
                        Thanks Thanks Thanks

Comment

thank you john

Comment

nutrition.gov is important

Comment

Working...
                            X